Looking for a good deal on 10G RJ45 switch with at least 1 10G SPF+ port

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Gary H

Feb 2, 2018
I have two Quantas Lb6m switches and i love them. Deals like these are great. I'm wondering if there are any deals on enterprise (or consumer) 10G RJ45 switch with at least 1 10G SPF+ port? That way I can connect the SPF+ port to the Quantas and have a 10G switch that can accept both SPF+ and 10G RJ45.

Something like the:

NETGEAR 5-port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch, 1xSFP+, Desktop, Rackmount, ProSAFE Lifetime Protection (XS505M)

would suffice, but I don't want to pay almost $400 for it. Hey, I got my Quantas LB6M for less than $300 so I'm targeting the $200 range, if that is at all possible.

I'm ok with used equipment as long as the RJ45 ports support up to 10G.

Thanks,
Gary

Last edited:

forroden

Jan 1, 2017
10GBase-T switches are insanely rare at the best of times because they were never really adopted in the enterprise like the SFP+ ones were.

As such there aren't particularly many of them out there, and thus they are never particularly cheap. Their cost is often at least an order of magnitude greater than the comparable SFP+ based switches.

It's not impossible to find them for those prices, but you're basically banking on a seller who has no idea what the hell they've got, or a serious listing error that's buried it from most people's interest.

Reactions: Gary H

Gary H

Feb 2, 2018
10GBase-T switches are insanely rare at the best of times because they were never really adopted in the enterprise like the SFP+ ones were.

As such there aren't particularly many of them out there, and thus they are never particularly cheap. Their cost is often at least an order of magnitude greater than the comparable SFP+ based switches.

It's not impossible to find them for those prices, but you're basically banking on a seller who has no idea what the hell they've got, or a serious listing error that's buried it from most people's interest.
Thanks Forroden!

I really only need the 10G rj45 so I can try to use 10G over my existing home network wiring that is already installed in my house. I guess I can just use optical, but am not looking fwd to installing optical lines after the drywall has been installed.

Gary H

Feb 2, 2018
10GBe-SFP+ Adapter
Transceiver Modul - Generic Kompatibel 10GBASE-T SFP+ Kupfer RJ-45 30m | FS.COM

Might be an alternative. Still a bit more then you'd like but maybe you can find a cheaper one
English:
Generic 10GbEBASE-T SFP+ Copper RJ45 Transceiver | FS.COM

Yes I've seen these. It would be cost effective if I only needed a pair but I may need more than that. It is a better option than a 10G media converter that I was looking at which is $1000. If I need two it would be $2k!

Back to the transceiver module I think, because of the power requirements of copper/rj45 and the power limits on the SPF+port, getting 10G on copper would involve short distances. That's the only drawback besides the price, correct me if I am wrong.

Anyone used these? Are you getting 10G on the rj45 side, and if so, what's the distance of the cable?

Last edited:

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
with 10g rj-45 switches you pay less for cables, more for switch.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
with 10g rj-45 switches you pay less for cables, more for switch.
Not much difference the price from quality RJ45 cat7 and sfp+ twinax DAC, if you need to use gbic and fiber cable then cost go up a lot.

Geekness07

Dec 11, 2017
English:

Yes I've seen these. It would be cost effective if I only needed a pair but I may need more than that. It is a better option than a 10G media converter that I was looking at which is $1000. If I need two it would be $2k!

Back to the transceiver module I think, because of the power requirements of copper/rj45 and the power limits on the SPF+port, getting 10G on copper would involve short distances. That's the only drawback besides the price, correct me if I am wrong.

Anyone used these? Are you getting 10G on the rj45 side, and if so, what's the distance of the cable?

I have seen some guys said he used 10G RJ45 SFP+ module for home use on reddit, and it works fine. But I cannot find the link now, sorry.o_O

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
People either hate 'em or love 'em.
LOL, yeah. I love the gear for the simple management, get fustrated with UBNT when they rush products out without fully vetting them or in my line of work, release products so cheap and easy to abuse (wireless gear), making my life difficult to compete and play nice with the DIY tools.

Jerry Renwick

Aug 7, 2014
English:

I have installed a couple of this optics in my Cisco 3650 over the past two months, zero failed, and all works fine now. The only regret is that the price of it is more expensive than the 10G fiber SFPs, but it is good to see the price start to drop down.