Want to Borrow - 100GbE NICs and Cables

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

forroden

Jan 1, 2017
Well I have a "slightly" insane request. Don't suppose anyone has a spare pair of 100GbE capable NICs and two DAC/Optical cables kicking about unused somehow.

I made a rather questionable life choice in the last week and turns out I haven't got the hardware to test it fully. Figured before I went and dropped $1,000+ on hardware I don't actually need, I'd ask y'all, because if there is anywhere on the planet that might be able to facilitate this, it seems like it'd be here.

Willing to pay shipping both ways and provide a reasonable (somewhere in the range of what it'd cost me to buy the hardware myself) deposit.

Have both a Washington US address (unconfirmed, but it's a company that receives parcels for Canucks on the US side of the border. Kind of like Shipito but without the forwarding part) or my home address here in British Columbia, Canada.

I expect this will be greeted with a round of crickets chirping, but thanks for reading anyways!

Monoman

Oct 16, 2013
If I had a pair, I'd send them your way!

But I'm betting, before someone would agree to this, we need to see the potential setup needing 100GbE nics to fully test ;)

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Just received a pair of CX4's, but no cables yet.
Also EU based, so with p&p, tax (potentially both ways), paypal deposit cost and time associated with that I think it might be easier to get from US ... - but if all else fails...

forroden

Jan 1, 2017
If I had a pair, I'd send them your way!

But I'm betting, before someone would agree to this, we need to see the potential setup needing 100GbE nics to fully test ;)
Hah, there is no potential setup needing 100GbE nics to fully test. There was a me that wanted a 40GbE capable switch and but couldn't make the finances work while the cheap Aristas were available. I found the finances finally (the day after the last available reasonably priced arista auction ended) but the thought of dropping twice what they were going for a week ago to get one puckered my well... you know.

So I got something else that is capable of 40GbE, it just so happens it also has the capability to do 100GbE. I can test the 40 pretty easily, got 56Gb Infiniband going in the cluster right now with all VPI cards so that's a non-issue.

Just wanted to make sure it functioned as advertised though, you know for 5+ (or 50+) years in the future when I might actually want to use it to capacity.

Reactions: Monoman

forroden

Jan 1, 2017
/sigh fine, I got my hands on a Z9100-ON

Edit: Please don't kill me.

Last edited:
Reactions: _alex

srain

Jun 3, 2017
1RU, 6.4Tbps switching capacity, typical power consumption of 195 watts and 600 max. If I dedicated every host in my lab to the task, I wouldn't even hit 5% usage on this... that's 320Gbps.

What a killer switch you've got there. I can easily understand why you want to take it out for a spin ^.^

forroden

Jan 1, 2017
Did you ever get to play with the Z9100? How was the noise if you did.

Sadly, something was a little off about it. Some of the ports weren't linking up the way they should have been. Opted to send it on home, currently pursuing alternate options.

Shame too, was really quiet imo. At least for a switch with that kind of capability.

warlord1312

Sep 17, 2015
Can you compare the noise to any other piece of equipment? In the video it sounds a little too loud for what I am looking for.

forroden

Jan 1, 2017
Best I've got to compare against is my other switch collection. In which case it's about right in the middle of switch noises. If you've got any other 1U Mellanox switch it's slightly quieter than that.

warlord1312

Sep 17, 2015
No Mellanox switch experience. If you can list a Mellanox model I can try to find the db specs for it though. I have Cisco/HP switches for reference and HP DL360/380 G6/G7 servers. I am trying to determine if it's tolerable in a home lab.

forroden

Jan 1, 2017
Lets see.

It's louder than an R710 at Idle
It's about par with an R710 at 33-50% CPU Utilization
It's about par with an HPE A5800-48G
It's quieter than an HPE A5820X-14XG
It's quieter than a Mellanox SX6036
It's whisper quiet compared a SPARC T3-1 (at any CPU usage) or ASUS RS926-E7/RS8 (at any CPU usage over 12%)

If any of that info helps. I didn't have a spare switch to compare against that I could isolate but it really wasn't much louder than most 1U switches I've owned. Once it calmed down from it's initial boot scream it was a far cry from the Vulcan Bomber I was expecting.