Switch recommendation: Smart/Managed gigabit, SFP/SFP+, homelab use

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Occamsrazor

Feb 23, 2018
I hesitate to post this as I fear it will sound like my thoughts are all over the place... but will anyway :)

Current setup for homelab use:

pfSense Router (Qotom i5) connected to >
Netgear GS110TP (Primary, in spare room) connected to 2 x QNAP NAS each with 2x1GB LACP LAG
1G SFP connection to secondary GS110TP>
Netgear GS110TP (Secondary, in living room) connected to Mac Mini as music server, Macbook Pro as Movie server, another Macbook pro as work machine. All those Macs back up to the QNAPs over the network with Time Machine and/or clone jobs.
TP-Link Archer C5400 as main Wireless AP, plus a couple other older Asus routers as APs.
A couple TP-LINK MC220L Ethernet>MiniGBIC 1G SFP transceivers that I'm not currently using.
APC UPS, transfer switch for inverter input, monitored PDU
All the SFP slots are currently using 3rd-Party Netgear compatible AGM731F 1000Base-SX modules

Switch upgrade reasoning:

Now that I have a full server rack, and all the ports of the primary GS110TP are full, I'd like to move to a larger rackmount switch for my primary switch. Why? Honestly.... my current setup is pretty much sufficient but I like gear and I like to experiment, especially with more enterprise-y type stuff, and in doing so improve my networking skills. Currently I'm not using VLANs but I may want to try in the near future. I'd rather have advanced capabilities and slowly learn to use them over time.

Requirements:

Copper Gigabit: 16-30
POE: Not really necessary
WebGUI interface: A good web management interface is essential. CLI also welcome but I will primarily use the web interface.
SFP/SFP+ ports: 2-4 SFP minimum. But I am thinking if I am buying a new switch, it might make sense to buy something capable of running 10G so thinking about SFP+ ports. Then later I could add a second small switch to replace the secondary GS110TP. At the same time I'm also considering not having SFP+.
Noise: I could tolerate a low-noise fan, though fanless would be better. But definitely not a very loud continuous fan, even though the rack is in a spare room.
Licensing: I don't want to be bothered by complex licensing arrangements.
SFP compatibility: As I already have 1G SFP modules, it would be good if I could use these for the moment without having to buy new ones.
Management Level: I don't think I need L3 capabilities, but likewise I am happy to have as a learning experience.
Monitoring: I'd like to be able to play with monitoring stats on another sevice, cloud etc.
Cost: Can be fairly flexible for the right device but say around $500 or less. Happy to consider secondhand. Need to buy in UK or Europe.

New models being considered:

TP-Link T1700G-28TQ
: This does seem to have everything I need and is fanless too. Wasn't super-impressed by the web gui and firmware of my TP-Link Archer C5400 AP, though am using it as AP only so wasn't a big deal. Have looked at the emulator for this model and I guess OK but not very exciting.

Netgear GC728X: Pretty new model but ticks a lot of the boxes. Uncertain about the cloud model, but seems you can also fully administer it with local web interface if you want. More info here.

Mikrotik CSS326-24G-2S+RM - but read about lack of LACP support.

Ubiquiti UniFi 24 port/48 port

Secondhand models being considered:

Netgear GS728TP / GS728TX /GSM7224
HPE Aruba 2530
Juniper EX2200/2300/3300
Cisco small business SG300/500
Cisco models like 2960 - But I'm confused/scared about licensing needs and don't want to deal with that. But maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing.
Dell Powerconnect 5524

I do realise this list is a bit all over the place. Really I do. But as mentioned this is largely for a bit of playing and experimentation and I like gear that's more powerful than my needs :)

So wondering what people's thoughts or advice might be.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Geekness07

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
I run a stack of 3x Dell 5524 one of them being a 5524p (poe) there is also the 5548 (48 port). The web interface is fairly good, has static L3 routing and you can stack a couple together (via hdmi) to get extra 10gbe ports. The Non-POE are very quiet to silent, POE makes some noise but as long as it isn't right next to you it is bearable.

Also have a couple TP-Link switches they get the job done and I have been satisfied with them.

Reactions: Occamsrazor

Occamsrazor

Feb 23, 2018
Hi,

Thanks for the replies...

The Dell 5524 does tick all the boxes. It's on my consideration list.

The TP-Link really has it all hardware-wise, but am not (yet) comfortable about long-term firmware/software support, adding new features, fixing any bugs, etc.

I can't buy from China or outside the EU, but thanks for the info.

On the Unifi, I had kind've dismissed it but after doing some more reading it is a tempting system. Their product line is really missing a 24-port switch with SFP+ though. To get SFP+ it seems you have to go up to the 48-port version which I'm not totally averse to, but it is more than my needs in terms of ports. However I'd be tempted to replace my various wifi APs with UAP-AC-Pros. For noise and price aspects I might choose to go for the non-POE switch versions, and then use my existing Netgear GS110TP that have POE to power any access points.

One question though. The Unifi system seems really designed to be a system. If you aren't using a Unifi router, but instead I want to keep pfSense as the firewall/router, does it still make much sense and benefit to have a Unifi switch and/or APs?

Last edited:

Monoman

Oct 16, 2013
with unifi, it's not all or none. I started just with the AP's. Then added a PoE switch to run my AP's and UniFi cameras. Next I needed more ports so I grabbed another UniFi switch. Then I grabbed the USG4Pro to replace my pfSense (still run it in a VM for VPN duties. I just use the USG for routing/firewall/dns/dhcp/DPI) Lastly to round out my all UniFi network, I grabbed the UniFi 16 port 10GbE switch.... so I got bit by the bug and replace my other gear (Linksys APs, Dell L2/L3 switch, Cisco L2/L3 switch)

Good Luck!

sth

Oct 29, 2015
Cisco SG500x would meet your needs too, I have a 24port PoE with 4 SFP transceivers unused if you are interested.

Occamsrazor

Feb 23, 2018
Just watched this video which does a nice explainer on the Unifi 24/48 port switches and system and find it very appealing:

To save money I'm tempted to go for a non-POE switch and use my existing Netgear GS110TP as dumb switch that adds the POE capability. So if I were to do this:

Unifi 48-port non-POE > GS110TP with POE > UAP-AC-PRO

Would that in some way limit the Unifi seamless provisioning and/or functionality by having a non-Ubiquiti switch inbetween?

In terms of linking the Unifi Switch to the Netgear over SFP... how fussy are they about SFP modules? As mentioned I have a bunch of Netgear compatible AGM-731F 1G modules and it would be nice to just use those. Edit - I see one or two posts on ubnt forum saying it worked so willing to try.

For the Unifi controller - as I'm the only admin, can I just run this on my MacBook Pro that's not always on? Or would I be better to install it on something more permanently on e.g. in FreeBSD on my pfSense router or on my QNAP?

Last edited:

Monoman

Oct 16, 2013
As long as the netgear and unifi talk the same "trunk" speak, you will have no problems. Setting up the AP's you need to have at least two vlans to it, untagged (for ubnt mgmt) and whatever vlan you want your AP's to use so for me this is vlan 100. I think you can do it with just untagged but that might have changed. For sure two vlans minimum.

If you're worried about costs, you can just buy the UAP-AC-PRO retail single pack as they should include a PoE injector. This would eliminate the need for the Netgear. Or outright buy a UniFi PoE injector. They are 10 euro or so if I recall.

Occamsrazor

Feb 23, 2018
As long as the netgear and unifi talk the same "trunk" speak, you will have no problems. Setting up the AP's you need to have at least two vlans to it, untagged (for ubnt mgmt) and whatever vlan you want your AP's to use so for me this is vlan 100. I think you can do it with just untagged but that might have changed. For sure two vlans minimum.

If you're worried about costs, you can just buy the UAP-AC-PRO retail single pack as they should include a PoE injector. This would eliminate the need for the Netgear. Or outright buy a UniFi PoE injector. They are 10 euro or so if I recall.
I'm still learning about VLANs and not really tried to segment my home network yet. Why do you need 2+ VLANs just for the AP? Can't you just have it as a wireless bridge with connected devices getting their IPs from the main router in the same subnet as all your other LAN devices? Sorry I'm confused....
I'd still need the Netgears for other wired devices in different rooms, not just for their POE capabilities.

Monoman

Oct 16, 2013
well, easiest answer is to brush up on vlans.

UniFi hardware all work with a single management interface. This is defined when you setup the controller software. This IP address is what I call the UBNT MGMT network. This is where the controller talks to the switches/AP/Cameras/USG/ ect. everything UniFi all talk to each other on this network. With that said, it's possible to use this for your home network as well. I do not nor do I think UBNT recommends this. As far as the AP's, they need to be managed on this UBNT MGMT network (that can also be your LAN network) so they can pickup their configuration through provisioning. Normally the provisioning (ubnt mgmt) network is separate from the actual device connection network. This is just how they (UBNT) setup their devices. You don't have to set it up this way.

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
LOL @ "Trunk Speak"

UniFi hardware will work as a whole or as separate items, the controller can either be a Cloud-Key (they are cheap and work) or software client on your machine somewhere.
If you must have 10GbE then the XG16 would be suggested as your core and use a 16-24 port PoE model for rest. The SFP+ ports on any UBNT gear are backwards compatible with normal SPF (1GbE).
As for supported SFP's/SFP+'s, I have found any that i plug into the UniFi gear work with some like TP-Link that need manual speed settings as auto-negotiation is a little touchy.

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
There is a golden rule for the use of UBNT gear:
  • Edge stuff is for external, edge or carrier style use or broader platfor and means you either need to use the new UNMS (bloody docker container last time I looked) or manage every device manually.
  • UniFi is for local, private network. Can be used multi-site but really aimed at home, office or production environment. Central management with easy and clear operation.
The USG's can be a little basic for some but if you read up and play with them, you have no limit on the VLAN's and associated DHCP/DNS options on each allowing lots of concurrent network. Hence why I am comfortably using it for my small DC and Home/Office use.

tronic

Mar 1, 2018
Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster :).

I am also planning to exchange my core switch (SG300) as I have invested into a X10SDV-6C+-TLN4F and would like to tinker with 10G. After doing significant amount of research I am considering to pull the trigger on a SG350X-24 (24 GE + 2 10GE copper/SFP+ combo + 2 SFP+). Furthermore, the power consumption, thanks to the new silicon, is just great @220V=32.5W as plan to run it 24/7. Price-wise one could get it for about 500 EUR in Germany (NEW!!!).

nikey22

Feb 19, 2018
Does the PowerConnect 5524 switch allow for fiber media? I have LCtoLC OM3 fibre in multiple areas around the house, all converging in the office/server room.

The big question is, can it accept fiber connection (with the proper transceivers of course)?

Last edited:

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Does the PowerConnect 5524 switch allow for fiber media? I have LCtoLC OM3 fibre in multiple areas around the house, all converging in the office/server room.

The big question is, can it accept fiber connection (with the proper transceivers of course)?
Yes on the 2 SFP+ ports

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster :).

I am also planning to exchange my core switch (SG300) as I have invested into a X10SDV-6C+-TLN4F and would like to tinker with 10G. After doing significant amount of research I am considering to pull the trigger on a SG350X-24 (24 GE + 2 10GE copper/SFP+ combo + 2 SFP+). Furthermore, the power consumption, thanks to the new silicon, is just great @220V=32.5W as plan to run it 24/7. Price-wise one could get it for about 500 EUR in Germany (NEW!!!).
Can you link to where you can get it for 500EUR?

bateau

Jan 22, 2017
well, you can click on the '500 EUR' and there you have your link. That is for Germany.
Not knowing where you are from, in France for example, they pop up from time to time with the likes of LDLC, pc21, and inmac.
Amazon has it listed for 440 excl VAT now, NON-marketplace. That would be a no-brainer.