Top Load 2.5" Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Cmdrd

Jun 23, 2016
Hey STH,

Wondering if anyone has seen a server that has top load 2.5" drive bays. Similar to the SuperMicro or 45-Drives 60/90 bay top load servers but for 2.5" drives.

Where that came up was we just brought in EMC's XIO platform at work and the drive enclosures are top load, approximately 2U, 72*2.5" servers. I know SM has a 4U 72/88 bay 2.5" server, but that's not quite as dense as this would be.

This is purely out of curiosity as I've never seen a server with that layout before and was curious if any vendors had anything similar.

Thanks!

Reactions: nk215

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
I don't believe there's that much demand for that kind of density. You can get 48 x 2.5" in 2U and both Supermicro and HP offer that (more vendors too probably, but I've only seen those two in person). The Supermicro chassis you mentioned (90 bay 3.5" 4U and 88 bay 2.5" 4U) are just drive chassis and not full servers either. I'm guessing your EMC is the same or has some very small proprietary controller at the rear.

Reactions: Patrick

Cmdrd

Jun 23, 2016
That's right, I had forgotten about the SM Simply Double servers that have 48*2.5" bays in 2U. I guess that would be about the highest density without it just being a JBOD expansion chassis with a controller.