Suggest a 4 and 8 port 1gb network switch, lowest cost please

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DrStein99

If it does not exist ? I am probably building it.
Feb 3, 2018
New Jersey, USA
I know a network switch will intelligently route traffic from device to device, and the good ones have a web-interface for me to manage ports. A HUB will just repeat and broadcast data to all the ports, and is generally used to save costs - when is not needed.

Is anyone here familiar with buying them, what eBay (or other) prices I would expect to pay? I already bought a cheap Trendnet 5 port "switch" to find the SURPRISE that only 1 port is gigabit (to connect to the router) and the rest are 10/100.

I am looking to buy a 4 or 8 port gigabit switch, since I will eventually be testing some ip-camera's for video feeding. I am also too impatient to wait for my 20gb+ files to copy between machines at a 100mb connection speed, when I 1gb network adapters in all of my machines (most of them have more than (1) 1gb ports). I MIGHT need the web-management utility to help me also learn wire-shark and understand about traffic to and from my device through the router.

I was wondering if anyone here has more experience than me in this field? Can anyone suggest a box that they use or know of, that I will not be over-spending ?

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
For more of a home environment, the wee Netgear GS108T ticks most of the boxes for a small 8 port managed switch. If you want something more along the lines of a professional device, look for the smaller HP or Cisco switches. You mentioned that you are planning on doing some CCTV work with this, that being the case, you might also consider moving up to a PoE/ PoE+ capable switch, so that you can remotely power the cameras :)

DrStein99

Feb 3, 2018
New Jersey, USA
Yes, I have a small network at my home office. The poe switches are a good idea, thank you for suggestion. I know they are going to cost a whole lot more, of course.

The tp-link 8-port device looks like I can get my job done (for now). I see that I can do port-mirroring and there are some basic tools to help me get started to analyze the traffic.

DrStein99

Feb 3, 2018
New Jersey, USA
Nice trick, thank you!

I "refine search" to that seller, and my search returned only 1 sold at $45.00. Other for "JE006A" have been sold by other sellers for more and less than $45 he asking.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
There are 2 available now from the seller now.

I BO $30 each for 2 with free shipping. Seller already shipped the 2 switches.

These are good $30 managed switches.

DrStein99

Feb 3, 2018
New Jersey, USA
Ok thanks. I have no use for 2 switches. 16 ports is twice as much as I need already. I might take one at $30

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Don't be put off by higher port density, especially in smaller Gbps fixed configuration switches. Always look for at least 50% more ports than you initially expect to use, as a minimum, you will always find ways to use those extra ports over time, plus they can come in handy for port mirrors, quick testing of other systems, quick replacement for bad/ damaged ports etc. Very often the same switch series with 24 ports can be had for little more than the price of a 16 port version, 48 port for similar money as a 24 port etc :)

DrStein99

Feb 3, 2018
New Jersey, USA
Always look for at least 50% more ports than you initially expect to use, as a minimum, you will always find ways to use those extra ports over time, plus they can come in handy for port mirrors, quick testing of other systems, quick replacement for bad/ damaged ports etc. Very often the same switch series with 24 ports can be had for little more than the price of a 16 port version, 48 port for similar money as a 24 port etc :)
Yes you are completely right, thank you for reminding me. It is tough to spend with my own money instead of my office money. I realize now how stupid it is to buy cheap hardware that I plan to get good use out of and have extra options, just to save lunch money.

See here : https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...your-favourite-simple-unmanaged-switch.18380/
Many models are suggested. Some versions exists with POE.
Thank you. I probably should just hold out and get the POE ones. I still have my SIP phones I can just hook up inside my house and run home office. Plus extra power in a jack is useful for so many other things, like my integrated home automation.