To proxy or not to proxy

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hifijames

Dec 26, 2017
I have a dozen spare computers doing CPU mining. I use Patrick's xmrig docker image, which works great. I use a start script on each machine so I can switch among different coins, pools, etc. And since the CPU's are different, the script will set cpuset-cpus accordingly on each machine.
So far it's still manageable, but adding more machines will make it very difficult to switch hashing power around. I looked docker swarm briefly, but couldn't figure out how it will help me while each machine has a different start script to run the dockers. What about proxy? Heave any of you been using it? If I setup a xmrig proxy, and direct all the miners to it, all I need to do to switch hashing power is to update the proxy server settings, am I right?

onsit

Jan 5, 2018
Run a $5 digital ocean node running xmrig-proxy, and point your docker miners to that centralized VM. Then you can just ssh to it, and point it to different coins / pools / anything cryptonote

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Run a $5 digital ocean node running xmrig-proxy, and point your docker miners to that centralized VM. Then you can just ssh to it, and point it to different coins / pools / anything cryptonote
Ha for $5/ mo I would run proxies for people :)

Stay tuned. The second revision of the container has been running stable for about two weeks now. I am working on making it easier to manage this weekend.

hifijames

Dec 26, 2017
Ha for $5/ mo I would run proxies for people :)

Stay tuned. The second revision of the container has been running stable for about two weeks now. I am working on making it easier to manage this weekend.
Can't wait:) Will we be able to monitor all the miners as well?

onsit

Jan 5, 2018
It's what I do with my 20 or so miners - except I use AWS lightsail (free 1 year credit). All my miners point to <aws-static-ip>:7777.

xmrig-proxy binds on 0.0.0.0:7777, and then I just point it at any mining pool or currency. So far I have used a cron to even round robin and select random coins / pools to mine against (sumo/krb/alloy/xmr).

You do have to be mindful of the difficulty. As the pools will try to auto-diff you to your total proxie's hash rate. And if you have 50 miners doing 400 H/s each. You wouldn't want them necessarily each having a diff of a 20,000 H/s machine. Xmrig has keep alive so it isnt so bad, but xmrstak will time out.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@onsit - exactly. Have had over 200 miners submitting shares to the current version.

Algeroth

Sep 29, 2017
You can run static diff on proxy side...
proxy is great, but have one big problem from my perspective
you cannot use it when mining to nicehash, beside that, rather "must have" if you are mining "in scale"

A

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
You can run static diff on proxy side...
proxy is great, but have one big problem from my perspective
you cannot use it when mining to nicehash, beside that, rather "must have" if you are mining "in scale"

A
That is one of my tests. I have nicehash on miners and proxy in a test build.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
I've looked and cannot find good information on how to use xmrig-proxy. I am abit confused on the nicehash requirement for the miners node and the local port bind on the proxy. If I understand correctly the miner have to connect to the proxy with nicehash enabled at the port that the proxy is configured to bind the local port. What if I want to mine on a pool that uses different port than the proxy local binded port is this possible ?

Is there any benefit for using proxy when you have 10+ mining machine ? Is there a way to report individual miner hash rate ?
Is switching to different coin to mine while using proxy gives better result than stopping and starting dockers on 10+ mining machine ?
I like the idea of switching different coin to mine based on current difficulties level.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
I've looked and cannot find good information on how to use xmrig-proxy. I am abit confused on the nicehash requirement for the miners node and the local port bind on the proxy. If I understand correctly the miner have to connect to the proxy with nicehash enabled at the port that the proxy is configured to bind the local port. What if I want to mine on a pool that uses different port than the proxy local binded port is this possible ?

Is there any benefit for using proxy when you have 10+ mining machine ? Is there a way to report individual miner hash rate ?
Is switching to different coin to mine while using proxy gives better result than stopping and starting dockers on 10+ mining machine ?
I like the idea of switching different coin to mine based on current difficulties level.
The reason for using nicehash nonce on the miner side, and the same reason why the proxy doesn't work with Nicehash, is because Nicehash ITSELF is a proxy.

Use with Nicehash · Issue #67 · xmrig/xmrig-proxy · GitHub

Reactions: azev