Crypto Blood Bath? Mining ideas...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
As I see it, a bear market is exactly the time to pounce. We are still years away from acceptance. Albeit the wolves on wall street are ready to run with this and we all know it.
Totally agree, but I don't think we're there yet. I just shipped out some Vegas I sold on ebay today. I'll rebuy when I can get them for less than MSRP in a few months. :)

Reactions: Marsh and Patrick

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Stock market big drop today, Crypto also suffer big price drop.
My home CA weather is 79 degree warm. I could not even justify to use the power hungry miner to heat the house.

Perfect time turn off all my power hungry E5 v1 miners.
Only E5 v3 , E3 v3 , CPU miners are still mining.

Last edited:
Reactions: gigatexal

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
It's really bad in crypto now. Stocks were a bloodbath too.

That tether bitfenix shadiness.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I suspect there are quite a few coins out there that are nothing more than pump and dump schemes.
It's worse than that. There are many rando coins out there that'll never be used. Teams just take ICO money in the form of Ethereum. Some make an effectively useless coin. Some just save the effort and skip town.

Any of the cryptonight coins except really Monero can be 51% attacked easily if the botnet guys want to. Once that happens and it will it'll spell the end for small coins.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Shoot, the botnets probably own the XMR network by now. Even Vegas don't earn enough mining XMR to pay for power @ $.10/kwh right now.

xmr.png

Edit: That was actually at $.40/kwh power, not .10. I use that to compute worst case when I move to CA; my mistake. Back to your regularly schedule programming.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick

nfsden

Apr 6, 2016
Shoot, the botnets probably own the XMR network by now. Even Vegas don't earn enough mining XMR to pay for power @ $.10/kwh right now.

View attachment 7788

Edit: That was actually at $.40/kwh power, not .10. I use that to compute worst case when I move to CA; my mistake. Back to your regularly schedule programming.
Monero becomes botnet coin.
Roughly 60% of Monero network hashrate are comes from botnets like javascript web botnets coinhive, etc, and devs don't even care.
Screenshot from 2018-02-02 13-28-03-1.png

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Monero becomes botnet coin.
Roughly 60% of Monero network hashrate are comes from botnets like javascript web botnets coinhive, etc, and devs don't even care.
View attachment 7817
Not necessarily true. If I owned a company with a lot of spare computing power I'd be solo mining all day long.

keybored

May 28, 2016
Just noticed that Monero nethash hit 1+ GH/s... 200-300MH/s added just in the past few days since it was fluctuating between 700-800MH/s.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@nfsden the bigger issue is if those botnets are all controlled by a small handful of individuals.

Also, that chart is misleading as it is missing a few pools larger than shown. A few examples: Dwarfpool is 14MH/s and not on that list. Minergate is 48MH/s (I know I know) is not on the list.

Just those two add another 6%+ sitting in pools.

nfsden

Apr 6, 2016
Not necessarily true. If I owned a company with a lot of spare computing power I'd be solo mining all day long.
Monero mining profit is much lower than on another cryptonight coins, who will mine it, while another coins offer much higher profits?

Also, that chart is misleading as it is missing a few pools larger than shown. A few examples: Dwarfpool is 14MH/s and not on that list. Minergate is 48MH/s (I know I know) is not on the list.
biggest javascript web botnet is "Coinhive".
Dwarf is included in the list of small pools
Minergate wasn't counted due to scam reports from many users (sleal miners earnings/shares)
Here are up to date chart, with today NetHash jump on roughly 200Mh just within few hours.
2018-02-08 20-02-55-1.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Here's a good one for you. I took the same system and did cryptonight an Aeon for CNL.

Aeon is beating Monero by 77%

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
If you did the same right now it would be more.
I calculated:

4.0Kh Aeon @ $2.02/day
1.1Kh Cryptonight (nicehack) @ $2.08/day
1.1Kh XMR @ $1.00/day

So Aeon is 100% more than XMR, but I'll stick with Nicehack for now, as the free coinbase withdrawals kill the competition for me. I use the internal wallet, but withdraw every day or two. Much less futzing vs. dealing with exchanges & fees.

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
I calculated:

4.0Kh Aeon @ $2.02/day
1.1Kh Cryptonight (nicehack) @ $2.08/day
1.1Kh XMR @ $1.00/day

So Aeon is 100% more than XMR, but I'll stick with Nicehack for now, as the free coinbase withdrawals kill the competition for me. I use the internal wallet, but withdraw every day or two. Much less futzing vs. dealing with exchanges & fees.
Are you using the nicehack client or just mining to their pool with XMR-stak or something?

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Are you using the nicehack client or just mining to their pool with XMR-stak or something?
A little of both. One Windows box is running the "legacy" client mostly because it also has a 390 and a 270 onboard and I wasn't sure what would be the best algo for them.

Everything else I manually installed and pointed to the pool. All my Ubuntu rigs are dockerized for CPU and Nvidia GPUs. CPUs only run cryptonight anyway, and most GPUs earn about the same $ for equi or eth mining, so I've just stuck with equihash (also easier since some of my cards are 2gb and can't fit the DAG).

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
A little of both. One Windows box is running the "legacy" client mostly because it also has a 390 and a 270 onboard and I wasn't sure what would be the best algo for them.

Everything else I manually installed and pointed to the pool. All my Ubuntu rigs are dockerized for CPU and Nvidia GPUs. CPUs only run cryptonight anyway, and most GPUs earn about the same $ for equi or eth mining, so I've just stuck with equihash (also easier since some of my cards are 2gb and can't fit the DAG).
I may need to do that. I was struggling with figuring out how to make docker easy as opposed to SSH to each host and run commands

Last edited:

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
There are plenty of programs to orchestrate clusters of PCs running docker, but for my 6 nodes I haven't taken the time to learn it really. Choices are:

Docker swarm
Kubernetes
RancherOS
Portainer
etc. etc.