Hackintosh - do I go Supermicro, Tyan, Intel, or ...?

Which workstation-class mobos/systems are the most MacOSx86 compatible?

• Tyan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • "mass market workstation makers" incl Dell, HP, etc (please post specific)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
Yes that's why gigabyte (which is great for consume or pro) is chosen.

Stick with TonyMac as the best one to use and try to work around the virtualization problem. That's the one thing that's a NoNo as that's apple's territory and they are already in a gray area with legality.

I guess I don't understand why virtualization by itself would be verboten though, I just mean there's more chance for 'abuse' but unless youre actually abusing it I dont see the difference. If I load up the same hard drive in virtualization mode or on raw hardware, the same way VMware lets you do with any other logical drive, I guess I don't see what difference it makes.

I've posted on all three boards and still don't see any response to workstation level chipset support ie Intel 5520 though - I can't believe this is uncharted territory with as long as x86 mods have been around?

kapone

May 23, 2015
Here's the thing. With a hackintosh, you're essentially at the mercy of what Apple has used already - hardware wise. You deviate from that, and you're in uncharted waters, and unless you're a Mac (and BSD) god, you won't get too far.

So, compare the hardware you want to use to a real Mac and see if Apple produced something similar.

John M.

Mar 7, 2016
I ran a hackintosh for about two years on a supermicro x8 system with X5670 cpu's. It worked great besides the networking!

You have to get a third party vendor nic with supported drivers.

Trying to find a compatible intel nic is a huge pain. I tried 3 different intel ones I think. The driver would always crash under heavy network traffic.

But other then that the x8 boards worked fine.

If you go high core counts there is a possibility osx is not supported. I think they only support the core counts of the real macs.

Also, yes tonymac is the best!