Ultra Wide Screen Monitors for Administration?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
The height of my 40" makes it difficult to view content near the top and bottom of the display. For movies and some games, this is not an issue, but it really stands out for me when doing productivity work. For this reason I prefer my 34" for productivity.
LG or Dell? What was the main reason you chose one of the other?

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
So apparently an Intel HD 530 video chipset can only do 2560 x 1440 over HDMI? Not happy about that. Gonna be a few more weeks before my 1080 Ti's are here :(.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Display port to HDMI 2.0 active adapter would solved your problem and get you to 4K video output.
I am using a display port adapter with my ancient GTX 750ti card driving a 4K monitor .
All my other modem videos are doing mining duty.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Display port to HDMI 2.0 active adapter would solved your problem and get you to 4K video output.
I am using a display port adapter with my ancient GTX 750ti card driving a 4K monitor .
All my other modem videos are doing mining duty.
Well, bought a DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 Active Adapter and when I plug the display port end into the monitor, no input detected :(.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Sometimes , after computer went to sleep, I had to move the mouse , wait 10-20 seconds for the monitor to detect signal.

I have no problem if turning on the monitor first , then boot the computer , it worked fine without waiting .

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Sometimes , after computer went to sleep, I had to move the mouse , wait 10-20 seconds for the monitor to detect signal.

I have no problem if turning on the monitor first , then boot the computer , it worked fine without waiting .
And just to confirm, you have the display port plugged into the monitor and the HDMI cable plugged into the Computer/Graphics card?

Marsh

May 12, 2013
So apparently an Intel HD 530 video chipset can only do 2560 x 1440 over HDMI?
Displayport goes to video card / computer , HDMI 2.0 goes to monitor.

My older video card does not support HDMI 2.0 (no true 4K support) ,but most video card displayport support 4K @60hz, even with older video chip. In order to get true 4K @60hz , then you need displayport output to monitor.

If your monitor have diplayport input, then get a cable to go from video card displayport to monitor displayport.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Displayport goes to video card / computer , HDMI 2.0 goes to monitor.

My older video card does not support HDMI 2.0 (no true 4K support) ,but most video card displayport support 4K @60hz, even with older video chip. In order to get true 4K @60hz , then you need displayport output to monitor.

If your monitor have diplayport input, then get a cable to go from video card displayport to monitor displayport.
This whole thing started because my video card only has HDMI and DVI ports. Guess I need to return this adapter.

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
I'm looking at displays for my home workstation and wondering if anyone (who doesn't game much) uses these ultra wide screen monitors (34" or even the 49" Samsung) for remote administration (RDP sessions, etc).

Currently I have 2 x 24" 1920 x 1200 Displays to compare to.
I would much prefer 2 or 3x24 1920x1200 to an ultrawide.

Seems to work better when you want to fullscreen, and most users desktops these days are 1920x1080 so the 1920x1200 is great where your toolbars and such fit on screen and you still see all the clients screen without scrolling.

I have an ultrawide at home and often remote into work but its only the 2650x1080 res, maybe I would like it more if it had the higher vertical resolution.

Ultimate for me is always multi monitor (My old setup is 3x Dell U2410 before I got the ultrawide) but I got the ultrawide for gaming and could not keep all 4 :)

a 4K HDTV may be a good alternative and use software to split it into 4 virtual quadrants.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I wound up getting the Dell 38" which does 3840 x 1600. I love it. Gives me two 1920 x 1600 displays. I thought maximizing screens would be an issue but it hasn't been. Between the build in Win10 screen options and the Dell software it's working quite well.

Reactions: DaddyGrant

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
a 4K HDTV may be a good alternative and use software to split it into 4 virtual quadrants.
Do you have any ideas about the software?
I really like the idea of having 4 quadrands and being able to switch to one of them. But it seems that LG 43" display is the way to go here. Cannot find any software to run it like that. (even using Remote desktop clients).

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
Do you have any ideas about the software?
I really like the idea of having 4 quadrands and being able to switch to one of them. But it seems that LG 43" display is the way to go here. Cannot find any software to run it like that. (even using Remote desktop clients).
There is 3rd party stuff (Like Display Fusion), stuff built into modern video card drivers (like AMD Hydra), and then even OS level stuff now days like Windows 10 has.

It does not actually give you 4x screens in the display control panel, but sets up areas for windows to "snap".

It works pretty well, and you can even use hotkeys and stuff.
I also have written my own using Autoit that will move/resize windows with hotkeys.

The 21:9 monitor I have now, also came with some software for this but I have not used it.

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
@IamSpartacus - How is the monitor working out? I am somewhat in the same boat as you. I tried a single 34" with a 24" and the different native resolutions are messing me up. I am also unable to find a reasonably pricing same model as what I have monitor, so off to see what I can come up with.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
@IamSpartacus - How is the monitor working out? I am somewhat in the same boat as you. I tried a single 34" with a 24" and the different native resolutions are messing me up. I am also unable to find a reasonably pricing same model as what I have monitor, so off to see what I can come up with.
Absolutely loving the Dell 38" Ultrawide. I find it to be the perfect size. That extra 4" in width really makes a difference. I also love the built in KVM. Very happy with this purchase.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
How does KVM works? You plug Keyboard and mouse to monitor but how it's passed to right PC?
There are two upstream and downstream USB ports that you use to connect 2 different PCs to the monitor as well as the keyboard and mouse. You assign USB1 to one video source and USB2 to another. This way when you change inputs, it automatically changes which PC you are controlling via mouse/keyboard. Quite nifty.

Reactions: Evan

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
Debating whether to get a single 38" or two 34" monitors. I'd be okay with a 34" and something like a 24" or 27" but same native resolution.