AEON price is falling but difficulty is rising

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Some folks have fixed costs (colo or dedicated facility) or no costs (botnets) and probably mine something regardless of profitability in the short term. What people choose to mine also varies based on what's the flavor of the second.

Reactions: gigatexal

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
The difficulty going up is a very good thing actually from a safety perspective.

The price going down is not a good thing at all.

jims2321

Jul 7, 2013
Yeah, I still have 3 docker images mining Aeon, just stack piling the coins for now.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
The bigger concern is that someone can hire a botnet and launch a 51% attack.

Doubly so on the smaller coins though.

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
wont affect your hashrate at all will just make it so that more hashes are needed to find a block, you most likely lost a node

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Interesting that it appears the market price for Aeon has been removed from the Mining Pool page.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Looks like the data service the component is pulling from is down. Code is still trying to fetch the data.

nfsden

Apr 6, 2016
Monero even in worst situation. Diff almost 90G and it has doubled during past two months. I'm thinking that monero becomes botnet coin. CPU mining almost not profitable. Thanks to botnets, javascript web botnets like coinhive, etc

Last edited:

xibo

Dec 25, 2017
Assuming I had a botnet granting control to a large number of smartphones, laptops and aging desktops, then I would instruct all nodes to mine something that is more CPU and Smartphone mineable than XMR at this point. There's no point in trying to compete with all the Vegas out there, even if I'm not the one paying the power bill.

Having a large number of full nodes ("troyan controled solo-miners"), however, is advantagous to the XMR cryptocurrency network.

To become more troyan resilent a cryptocurrency developer should try to make the mining process as obvious to be ASIC/FPGA/GPU minable as possible. If it ever becomes economically attractive for a botnet, it will also become attractive for people with enough "investment power" to introduce dedicated nodes with several orders of magnitudes more hashrate. Dedicated miner node operators are more likely to notice performance becoming compromized by troyans than regular computer operators.
Of cause, a premined pure PoS coin, is an option, too.

Though neither will be attractive as "currencies", they'll just become "assets" instead.

Last edited: