Decent Inexpensive external SAS Enclosure?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
I currently have a Sans Digital TR4M+BNC hooked up to an eSATA card in my HP MicroServer N40L but I would prefer to get a SAS HBA for it and a SAS enclosure to replace my TR4M+BNC. Does anyone know of a place to find a decent one for a good price? Has to have at least 4 bays, but would prefer more.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
I am not opposed to building my own and I have a feeling that is the route I will go with.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
At this point in time, should I avoid enclosures with an Infiniband Multilane 4X 4-channel SFF-8470 connector? I found one for $199 but it has said connector on it. Was thinking of this enclosure plus a HighPoint 2684 PCIe SAS RAID Controller Card and a 0.5M SFF-8088 to SFF-8470 cable. Comes out to $361.98. Unless someone has a cable & card for sale cheaper than where I found them? I just need to do something as my eSATA tower is starting to drop disks and I had it replaced under warranty for doing the same thing, but not its out of warranty.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
Another option I just though of is something like this, a SAS card, cable & gutting my eSATA tower to use the multilane adapter. Would save me some money and since I don't hot swap anyway it isn't a huge deal to lose the backplane in my eSATA tower.