Supermicro x9dbu-iF b7 memory error

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
Hi Guys, just thought I'd try a "hail Mary" over here with a board I've recently acquired. My previous AIO was running a X8DTU-F with a pair of X5650s when I saw a stonking deal on a X9DBU-iF which seemed like sound upgrade to make. I've fitted it with a pair of e5-2430s and moved the 12x 8GB Samsung DDR3L DIMMS across (M393B1K70DH0-YH9 - appears to be on the supermicro HCL).

Whenever anything is fitting in Slot C1, the board hangs on B7 which seems to be a memory error. I've swapped DIMMs around endlessly, swapped CPUs, and the problem stays with that slot. I've reset the CMOS and even updated the BIOS to the latest version.

The seller says he's tested it with a full population of 16GB DIMMs so I'm unsure why I'm having these issues. Thankfully he's happy to take the return but since it's such a good upgrade and these boards don't seem to appear very often I'm hoping for a last-ditch attempt to get it working!

Any smart ideas as to what I could try next?
Ta

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Any smart ideas as to what I could try next?
Check for bent pins in the CPU socket or gunk on the bottom of the CPU. Also, remove any expansion cards and see if the memory starts working - Supermicro often routes the SMbus from the memory sockets (for SPD) through the expansion slots, and some cards (like Dell storage controllers) do incompatible things with the SMbus. If all memory is detected, re-install expansion cards one at a time and test. When you find the card that causes the problem, you will need to isolate pins PCIe B5 and B6 on that card - do a Google search for "dell pcie smbus b5 b6" (without the quotes) for more info.