Intel Offers Enterprise Meltdown and Spectre Benchmarks A Gift for AMD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Edu

Aug 8, 2017
Good idea, but it's a bit too early for benches. Intel haven't release a working version of their microcode yet and there still seems to be ongoing work on patches (i.e Retpoline Underflow & GCC patches).

Reactions: eva2000 and Patrick

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
it would be so incredibly helpful to have numbers or even an idea of the magnitude from sandy bridge or even westmere up to current gen.
especially the step from ivy bridge to haswell is imho something to look at.

blublub

Dec 17, 2017
Problem is just that Epyc is missing in action..... no where to be seen in any store/OEM that most people/SMB would buy.....

AMD could probably sell all 60k of wafers just with Epyc for the next 2 Qs......if they just had any to sell

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
I see 2-3 weeks delivery for a 2u dual epyc system based on cse-825 at a german system builder. Most CPU options available in 1-3 days, so guess its maybe the mainboards availability that causes the perceipt shortage.

blublub

Dec 17, 2017
I see 2-3 weeks delivery for a 2u dual epyc system based on cse-825 at a german system builder. Most CPU options available in 1-3 days, so guess its maybe the mainboards availability that causes the perceipt shortage.
I am in Germany too. However you could order CTO servers with Epyc from those 2-4 companies even back in November - but thats not were 99% of servers are sold.

The majority is sold at HP, Dell, the Super 7 , and retail - we know there aren't any Epyc at Dell and HP available yet. Super 7, we have no clue..... but AMDs ER showed that even there Epyc was not sold in masses.

Epyc was a pretty much a NO SHOW until Jan '18, only now we see some dripping into retail.

Why? We just don't know.

My guess is that after Spectre and Meltdown were known in June AMD just didn't go into production until they knew damn well Meltdown wasn't AMDs issue. And even then HP, Dell, MSFT tested the hell out of it and hold back because no one knew how it would all turn out - result:

AMD just produced a homeopathic amount of Epyc.

The big question now is:

Did AMD have the balls of steele and ramp Epyc in October and November to the absolute limit to take advantage of Intel major Meltdown F**** UP or did they play it save and still have nothing to sell???

eva2000

Apr 15, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
centminmod.com
Problem is just that Epyc is missing in action..... no where to be seen in any store/OEM that most people/SMB would buy.....

AMD could probably sell all 60k of wafers just with Epyc for the next 2 Qs......if they just had any to sell
probably because web hosts etc are nabbing them up ? I recently saw 3 web hosts offer up dedicated AMD EPYC servers, hetzner.com, webnx.com and hivelocity.net. Pretty sure OVH plans on offering ADM EPYC too.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@blublub I think you are right that it has been harder to build your own system for the past few months. On the other hand, systems have been available from Supermicro, Gigabyte, Tyan, and others since September.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
I don't understand the point of this post. AMD is also vulnerable to spectre. The spectre patches account for most of the performance problems redhat reported. Where are the benchmarks for AMD's performance impact from spectre patches? What's that? Most people haven't even gotten the AMD microcode updates yet? Oh.

Reactions: Pepe