10GBe Ethernet Card Options

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cgtechuk

Dec 27, 2016
Hi All,

Having just upgraded my HomeLab I now have 2 motherboards that have Dual Intel X540 on the motherboard.

I would prefer on the third server to get a 10Gbe Card for it but the Intel X540 is expensive in the UK.

Stupidly I had a Chelsio T420-BT which would have been ideal but I sold it on eBay when I should of held on to it.

Rather than buy more SFP+ type cards / cables I would prefer to stick with 10GBe useing Cat6a cables as it makes sense given that is what is on my other motherboards on board and saves a PCie slot!

So my question is, What cards are out there that support Esxi 6 / 6.5?

I have so far Intel X540 and Chelsio T420-BT does anyone know of any others that I can search for on eBay?

Thanks all

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
Always worth looking for the Lenovo/IBM/HP/Dell versions/rebrands of the cards (e.g. HP 530T or 561T (X540 IIRC)). There's a couple of QLogic base-T cards out there that would be well worth a look. If you find something that looks like it has potential, then check it on VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

Mishka

Apr 30, 2017
London, UK
I have two dell 540-T2's that work perfectly, the dell ones have a silver heatisnk with a small 40mm fan on it to help it run cool, Server 2012 and ESXI didnt have to do anything special for them to work, I paid £80 each for them (Auction).

For ESXI I would stick with intel for ease of use and high chance of easier support if something does act up.

cgtechuk

Dec 27, 2016
Thanks for your reples, I found the HP ones to be the same price roughly.

I did see a Dell XR977 which is cheaper as it is only single port and based on the X540 chipsets but the fans need modifying on them as they scream their head off, This isn't the one you have is it?

Mishka

Apr 30, 2017
London, UK
Thanks for your reples, I found the HP ones to be the same price roughly.

I did see a Dell XR977 which is cheaper as it is only single port and based on the X540 chipsets but the fans need modifying on them as they scream their head off, This isn't the one you have is it?
I have the Dual port ones K7H46, the fans are acceptable to me noise wise over the hum of the server fans but I have Fractal Design XL cases so fairly good at noise reduction.

Pri

Jul 30, 2014
Keep your eye on ebay, used pulls from servers come up quite often. I was able to get some genuine Intel ones with yotta holographic for £80 each on ebay recently, both pulled from Dell servers. I usually see X540-T2's like what I got come up once a month on there like this.

cgtechuk

Dec 27, 2016
Even on the OEM versions of the same chipset (x540) is all around the same price.

I can get a one port DELL XR997 for around £60 are these the same chipset just single port?

Might just pull the plug and pay the one I can see for £80