BIOS update ISO for SuperMicro X10/X11

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

webjunkie

Mar 17, 2016
I'm looking for a bootable ISO that can be used to update SuperMicro X10/X11 motherboards. The one I usually use seems to have a memory allocation problem with the X10/X11 motherboards, and the one that was posted on here previously doesn't seem to work (just freezes after starting the process).

Does anyone have one or know of one that works well for the newer X10/X11 boards?

Thanks

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Delete or comment the reference to "HIMEM.SYS" in the config.sys file for your MS-DOS image. It causes conflicts with the flash program after the image being flashed reaches a certain size (which is has on the more recent X11 images).

Yes - I know this seems counter-intuitive since the HIMEM driver should make more memory available for user space programs. I can't explain it.

Reactions: Evan and K D

webjunkie

Mar 17, 2016
Delete or comment the reference to "HIMEM.SYS" in the config.sys file for your MS-DOS image. It causes conflicts with the flash program after the image being flashed reaches a certain size (which is has on the more recent X11 images).

Yes - I know this seems counter-intuitive since the HIMEM driver should make more memory available for user space programs. I can't explain it.
I am trying to do the flash from IPMI. I think your suggestion might work if you are using a flash drive, but most of these boot disk images need himem.sys to have room to load the CD driver. If you load the CD driver into low mem, it doesn't have enough memory to run the BIOS flash.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Is your bios in csm/legacy mode or uefi?
For my x10sra I had to use the compatibility mode instead of uefi for bios update.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Another way then, try getting an eval copy of SUM, then use the ipmi feature license to activate the ipmi bios update feature?

K D

Dec 24, 2016
The disk image I linked was built using the freedos disk image builder. I normally just create a boot disk with the firmware that I am updating and use ipmi to mount and update. It has worked successfully for around 20 installs without issue. I generally have UEFI boot disabled and use only boot via legacy.

FREEDOS Ripcord BootDisk