Flashing H710p with LSI firmware, please help!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

antst

Jun 26, 2013
Hi,

Dell H710p does not support JBOD and it can not be enabled with megacli (-enablejbod bla bla bla).
AFAIK, on LSI 9266-8i JBOD can be enabled.

Logical is to flash LSI FW to Dell card.

But I can not find any evidence of this working.

I saw some examples of successful flashing of Dell FW into LSI cards (with some efforts of course), but not vice versus.

Additionally, DOS megarec does not work with 2208 (again AFAIK).

So, my question is: did anyone succeeded with LSI firmware on H710(p)?

If so, what is the working procedure?

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
I can flash my IBM M5016 with LSI or any other non dell FW
Dell controllers are different and have difficulties being xflashed, its also difficult to flash to perc Hx10 of any sort from LSI like controllers
If you want jbod get LSI, if you want power down active drives get Dell probably best route to take

BigXor

May 6, 2011
Pennsylvania, USA
bigxor.com
I successfully flashed a Perc H810 (2208 controller) with Intel firmware (MR56p.rom) and was able to enable JBOD. Use MegaCli -adpfwflash, m0flash will not work.

There are some caveats:

a) You will not be able to enter the cards Bios screen after the update. So make changes before the flash or use MegaCli after the flash.
b) Use MegaCli to enable JBOD after the Intel flash. [MegaCli -adpsetprop -enablejbod 1 -a0]
c) Use the newest MSM for best results. If you are using a Dell server then use Dell's software (untried by me because I don't have a Dell server).
d) As normal practice by LSI based controllers, JBOD does not have spindown. You must use the OS or some other means such as AAM to spindown JBOD's

Last edited:

ascoolasice79

Oct 15, 2013
I also wanted to flash a H710p because there is cachecade 2.0 available with LSI cards. But then you loose the cachecade option. LSI cards need a physical key to enable cachecade 2.0 (read/write cache).
The Dell controller has a software key in bios which enables cachecade 1.0 (read cache). This key will be lost if you flash another bios.

Please correct me if i'm wrong.