What’s your new project in 2018 ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
So what do people hope to spend time working on or implementing in 2018 that’s interesting ?

For me I am not sure yet, so far a couple of small datacenter relocations and design of the intervals of a pair of new colo ones. (Meaning racks, power, DWDM, networks, systems, storage etc, not UPS, HVAC etc)

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I need to finish my hardware refresh and consolidate my home and lab infrastructure. Also target to complete my VCP-DCV by end of Q2.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Stay away from great deals forum. (Who am I kidding?)

Clean up my home office.

Actually use some of the HW that I've accumulated in the last year and half keep my skills current in SAP BI/HANA and expand in AI/Data Science.

Right now only the bottom most Intel P4308 Chassis is running my ESXi homelab.

I hope E5-2680 V2 drop somewhat soon. Not very promising as even the 2660v2 seemed to have spiked from ~115 to current ~150 level.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

ehorn

Jun 21, 2012
Starting with a power upgrade in the office.... 10kw ought to hold me for a bit...

But why does every home improvement project of mine feel like this though...

Attachments

realtomatoes

Oct 3, 2016
Migration to 6.5 after all the ucs firmware updates and migration to infinidat. Basically, a ton of grunt work. Fun stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Hopefully buy a home and get it setup with new home office, dedicated data center room and solar. I want to also upgrade my home network and start using vlans to separate traffic out since I'm having alot more severs plugged in due to miners. After the move I'll re-eval my hardware to see about making things a bit more efficient. Then maybe I'll go back to desktop main pc vs my current Alienware laptop with graphics amplifier.

Reactions: Evan

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
As we are getting closer to end of the year, thought wanted to reflect on this...

Got a F-

Stay away from great deals forum. (Who am I kidding?)
-- Failed miserably. Thanks to all the deals, I've accumulated even more HW.

Clean up my home office.
-- Didn't happen

Actually use some of the HW that I've accumulated in the last year and half keep my skills current in SAP BI/HANA and expand in AI/Data Science.
-- Can claim good success here.

Right now only the bottom most Intel P4308 Chassis is running my ESXi homelab.
I hope E5-2680 V2 drop somewhat soon. Not very promising as even the 2660v2 seemed to have spiked from ~115 to current ~150 level.
-- Can claim success here.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Hopefully buy a home and get it setup with new home office, dedicated data center room and solar.
I did buy a home this year and converted one of the bedrooms into home server area. Also got a new open fram rack. Also got home office to work out of. No solar yet.

I want to also upgrade my home network and start using vlans to separate traffic out since I'm having alot more severs plugged in due to miners.
Didnt happen. But i did make use of my ATT wifi to separate out all the new smart home devices from my home network, so kinda a success....
PS no longer mining

After the move I'll re-eval my hardware to see about making things a bit more efficient. Then maybe I'll go back to desktop main pc vs my current Alienware laptop with graphics amplifier.
Still re-eval my hardware. Trying to sell off old mining servers, etc. Still running Alienware laptop, not worth upgrading right now.