AEON Mining Performance

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
To save a couple watts I disable the SCU in the bios (not really needed or used on this model motherboard anyway -- no idea why it has one)

Disabling the SCU is also an option on other Supermicro motherboards -- any X9DRi / X9DR3 models. SCU is either a 4 or 8 port 3gbps sata 2 controller, in addition to the standard onboard 2x6gbps + 4x3gbps. If you don't need more sata2 ports, disable it. Not a huge power savings, but every bit helps. "A watt saved is a watt earned."

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
I find that hard to believe but since Patrick liked your reply perhaps there’s some
nda making him not say one way or the other.

I’d think with an nvidia friendly coin/algo itd do really well
You would need a crypto algorithm optimized for fused-multiply-add -- the tensor cores provide LOADS of performance on that type of calculation. Currently that is a very useful calculation for deep learning. Not so much for gaming or crypto. For "normal" calculations or memory-bandwidth-limited algorithms, I would expect a boost of 2x maximum, and usually a lot less.

Last edited:
Reactions: gigatexal

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
So the auction says it supports GPUs; I see risers with 2 full length slots in the back, but looking at pictures of the bare motherboard it looks pretty short. I'm sure the blower style cards would do better in this environment, but does anyone know the max card length that would fit, as well as PCIe power headers available on this chassis?

I'd love to configure these as combined CPU/GPU nodes. :)

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
On the Supermicro Web Page for the 6027TR-DTRF, Keynote 7 indicates"Support 1 Full-height PCI-E x16 GPU card per node w/ GPU Kit".

The optional GPU kit is MCP-420-21709-0N.

There's a link at the top of the page to the GPU Installation Kit Guide, and the installation details look pretty straight forward.
Thanks. So after looking at the GPU kit notes and then looking at the auction, the servers aren't set up for it out of the box. The riser is there, but the CPU heatsinks are 2u tall instead of the slim design with shroud that comes in the GPU kit. The kit looks pretty good (x2 8 pin adapters & pretty long) though I agree with @mjygvfesz that it's too spendy for our applications.

Reactions: gigatexal

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
So the auction says it supports GPUs; I see risers with 2 full length slots in the back, but looking at pictures of the bare motherboard it looks pretty short. I'm sure the blower style cards would do better in this environment, but does anyone know the max card length that would fit, as well as PCIe power headers available on this chassis?

I'd love to configure these as combined CPU/GPU nodes. :)
This is not going to support GPUs without the "gpu kit" which is hard to find and more expensive than the servers themselves.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
I’ve got an offer pending we’ll see if he accepts and then I’ll take you up on it for sure.
Let me know what the lowest the seller take on OBO i am interested in getting a few my self.
On another note does anyone noticed e5-2660v2 cpu went up from $113 to $148 wow !!!

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Let me know what the lowest the seller take on OBO i am interested in getting a few my self.
On another note does anyone noticed e5-2660v2 cpu went up from $113 to $148 wow !!!
Ah, interesting. $113 was pretty low to be honest. At $148 though, not a super value. May as well go for E5-2680v2.