Looking for a simple webbased Linux server monitoring tool?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cij

Dec 20, 2017
Hello,

At home I run different test / live web application on Ubuntu web servers installed as virtual machines. Last time I had a network failure therefore the Nagios system could not send any notification out. Now I am looking for an additional monitoring service which is outside from my network. Anyone knows about such services which is not so expensive in monthly fee with an easy setup and maybe a good overview such as dashboards etc. 6 VMs should be monitored.

Thanks in advanced

KioskAdmin

Jan 20, 2015
@MiniKnight netdata is awesome but the OP will need to put it on a cheap VM outside of his network. @cij it's a good monitoring tool and it can run on a very cheap VPS.

cij

Dec 20, 2017
Hi all,
thanks for your recommendation, I will have a look on this.

Now I have found a service provider which allows to monitoring up to 10 servers for free. The tool looks very cool and show also performance data such as cpu model, cpu speed, ram, hdd, network etc. and can be installed with a copy and paste command.

cij

Dec 20, 2017
Hello,

just a short update, for people who is looking for the similar solution. I have found a easy, fast and external service provider which allows to monitors up to 10 servers for free from a external datacenter (network). The provider is calling 8smonitoring and the server monitoring is up and running after 2 minutes without any manual installation and with an nice dashboard and server details page. Email notification are also possible for high usage such as CPU, RAM, HDD oder network / server is not available

Yesterday I have installed on a local VM Netdata and this is a very cool and nice monitoring solution, but I want to spend a monthly fee at this time for an small vps now. Maybe in a later time. Thanks all for your help :)

Attachments

cij

Dec 20, 2017
@Priscilla110 not testet yet, but looks similar to Nagios and PRTG Monitor.

But it´s the same situation, a external own server is needed for Zabbix and with the 8smonitoring solutions I need nothing and its free up to 10 servers. For an more detailed monitoring, I have Nagios already installed, the second solution with 8smonitoring is only a additional security which is outside from my network. So I can receive mail notification in case of a network failure.