EU Supermicro 4 Node Server 6027TR-HTQRF Quad node LGA 2011 @ 720€

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zeynel

Dream Large, Live Larger
Nov 4, 2015
anyone get the ConnectX-3 VPI card worked in mixed mode unter esxi 6.5 ?

i mean , one port for Infiniband one for Ethernet.

heathen

May 30, 2015
any ideas for a infiniband switch ? would this do ? MELLANOX IS5022 QDR 8-Port IB Switch New 851-0167-01 | eBay
Yes, it can be used (on 40Gbit though), but you can have it for much less. But beware that it's unmanaged switch so you will need to use an external subnet manager software.
Or you may want to get this one and have 36 port managed qdr switch for half price of the one you've chosen.

An another option is to look at FDR switches and, for ex., take this FDR unmanaged 36 port switch for $350 BO. I would be happy to get the last one by myself, by the way, but it will be too much for this year.

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
I bought a couple of these systems.. Been using the 1U twins since the first generation and every generation since.

Just a note, the systems i recieved from this seller were NEC branded, and only have 2 of the expected 3 SATA connections per node. So only 8 usable drives of 12.

Otherwise, seller is very responsive, accommodating. Very well packed, the seller sent two boxes per system - the chassis packed in expanding foam, the nodes in thick layers of bubble wrap. Most others would have just sent them all together and risked damage due to overloading. The price was a hundred cheaper when i bought them though. Would have bought the rest of his stock if I even remotely had an idea of what to do with them....

Dav

Jan 20, 2016
Yes, it can be used (on 40Gbit though), but you can have it for much less.
great advice thank you, how do you connect infiniband to ethernet tho ?

Do you guys recomend this for VMware DRS and HA Clusters ? im working mostly with hyper v nowdays but could use a lab to fiddle a bit with different hypervisers

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
anyone get the ConnectX-3 VPI card worked in mixed mode unter esxi 6.5 ?

i mean , one port for Infiniband one for Ethernet.
I didn't think this was possible in ESXi - from what I had read previously and my own messing about (couple of years ago). It would be good if this has changed!

heathen

May 30, 2015
great advice thank you, how do you connect infiniband to ethernet tho ?
I don't [directly]. :)
I'm using IB as a private cluster network for ceph and hosts\VMs intraconnect. All communications with external world are going through virtual router connected both to a VxLAN over IP over infiniband and to WAN ethernet port.

heathen

May 30, 2015
how do you connect infiniband to ethernet tho ?
Sorry, didn't finish my answer.
You can try to find an IB switch with an Ethernet port and appropriate license, but not sure if low-port version exists. 36 port version exists but much pricey than without Ethernet interconnect ones.