Chenbro-Cleversafe-Slicestor-1440

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
My rails are the same. What's the trick to securing them to square hole racks? 10-32 cage nuts don't work well since the bolts bottom out on the rails before the bus are pulled in tight.
I had my wife hold the rails while I screws in the bolts for the rails. I threaded them until they were flush with the inside hole and lined it up to the cage nuts and screwed it in the rest of the way.

I have to fix one but it is much easier now that it is in. I'm hoping I put it in the right location in the rack so I don't have to do it again.

theregoesplanb

Oct 17, 2016
I had my wife hold the rails while I screws in the bolts for the rails. I threaded them until they were flush with the inside hole and lined it up to the cage nuts and screwed it in the rest of the way.

I have to fix one but it is much easier now that it is in. I'm hoping I put it in the right location in the rack so I don't have to do it again.
Well, I think I discovered the best way. You can order alignment washers that fit in the square rack holes and then move the rack ears to the inside of the rack. Unfortunately, they're not widely available online and are pretty expensive (especially after they gouge you on shipping): Versa Rail Alignment Kit | RackSolutions

They work perfectly, though.

Last edited:

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
What power consumption is everyone getting with their model of this?

SycoPath

Oct 8, 2014
What power consumption is everyone getting with their model of this?
I'm around 110w with a cse-ptjbod-cb1 and 33 4tb spinning drives all in active use, never checked idle, my particular install basically never hits spin down.

Reactions: Geran

whozon2

Apr 25, 2017
So I have a M1015 HBA flashed to IT mode P20. Can you tell me what connections (CB1-3 on both cards) and dip switch settings you have?

I seem to be having some issues. TIA

whozon2

Apr 25, 2017
Thank you for looking. I had attached connectors to CB3 and am still getting led errors on each backplane.

I am assuming that folks aren't over looking the led errors.

SycoPath

Oct 8, 2014
Thank you for looking. I had attached connectors to CB3 and am still getting led errors on each backplane.

I am assuming that folks aren't over looking the led errors.
By LED errors do you mean on the case front panel, the expander board, or HDD error LEDs?

whozon2

Apr 25, 2017
I sorry I wasn't clear. The LED on the backplane(s). The docs say red "When HDD is error".

SycoPath

Oct 8, 2014
I sorry I wasn't clear. The LED on the backplane(s). The docs say red "When HDD is error".
There is a good chance you have a hard drive reporting errors to the expander. Does the error LED light up if the case is powered on without the controller card connected to the expander? How about when no hard drives are connected to the expander but the card is connected to the expander? Also, make sure your operating system is seeing all of the drives. The only reliable way I know of is to list all of the serial numbers at the command line and verify them to the physical drives. This expander board does not have ID LEDs sadly. If you find one that is not reporting in the OS, move it to a different slot. Might just be a bad connector on the expander. If the problem follows the drive, it's likely your drive is the problem. Seems odd that both expanders are showing errors though. Multiple failed drives are common enough though. There's a reason all I use these days is RAIDz3. Are these recently purchased drives or known good drives you have been using?

Linux Journal | The Original Magazine of the Linux Community

whozon2

Apr 25, 2017
LOL I'm starting to believe that some wires are wired wrong. I observed the following:

With no controller connected CB3 off CB2 on CB1 on
No drives and controller connected CB3 on CB2 on CB1 on
I booted Solaris 11.3 live and it detects the installed drives

The LED that I am referring to are positioned by the mini-sas connectors on the backplanes.

The LEDs appear to be doing the opposite of what they should be doing (on = no errors and off = errors)

theregoesplanb

Oct 17, 2016
Recently purchased Slicestor 1440 and the alarm light is visible + constant audible alarm. All power supplies are inserted. Not sure what I am looking for.
Anyone else run into alarm issues? My chassis has been fine for the last year, but recently started emitting a constant alarm. All power supplies are plugged in and appear to be functioning.

SparXalt

Nov 23, 2016
Anyone else run into alarm issues? My chassis has been fine for the last year, but recently started emitting a constant alarm. All power supplies are plugged in and appear to be functioning.
No issues here, do the health checks in IPMI show any fault?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

MostlyWrong

Jan 28, 2018
So, yes i'm aware this is an old thread, but i'm hoping that others have it set as a watched thread or will have a little different outlook on this question; Have you, or anyone, swapped out the "stock" Adaptec to another JBOD SAS controller and have it function well with the backplane in this server?

I managed a firmware error on a random reboot the other day so i'm not tempting the fates, the controller has to go.

Thoughts?

MostlyWrong

Jan 28, 2018
Yep I've run mine on an IT mode flashed IBM M1015 since day one without issue.
Ok awesome, i was looking at that exact chip (LSI SAS 9211-8i form, not the IBM one), but essentially the same. I encounter some odd "reboots" with no justifiable cause so i'm going to probably pull the Motherboard too in favour of something less power hungry, seeing as its serving my home and not the planet its mild overkill (dirty word?).

Thanks again.

SycoPath

Oct 8, 2014
Has anyone attempted to fit 2.5" ssds into this unit before?
I did it with a standard 3.5 to 2.5 adapter temporarily, but I wouldn't recommend it for a production environment. The trays for these are very flimsy.

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
I did it with a standard 3.5 to 2.5 adapter temporarily, but I wouldn't recommend it for a production environment. The trays for these are very flimsy.
Well that is disheartening. I was hoping I wouldn't have to get a different storage server when SSDs took over for spinning rust. Maybe I'll sell this to get something to prepare for that transition in the near future.