(Yet another) SC846 Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cessquill

Nov 30, 2017
Hi - first post, but I've been lurking around here for over a year. I'm based in the UK. I'm desperately sorry for such a long post, but I've done a fair bit of research and this is what I have left...

I've got a Supermicro system from eBay, and I'm looking to make a few adjustments. The sticker on the top says it's a CSE-846E1-R900. A search only really turns up an R900B, so I'm not sure what I've got.

I plan to gut it and put in my existing mobo/CPU/RAM (Supermicro X10SL7-F). I'm running unRaid with a Plex docker.

First point - I've got a BPN-SAS2-846El1 backplane that I plan to put into the server (I understand the machine I have has an expander with a 2TB drive limit. I assume this is OK. My mobo has 8 SAS ports, so I've got a reverse breakout cable that I think should work straight into the expander.

1) How do I tell which version of the SC846 I own? I assume this might govern what parts I can swap out or add.

My main request is bringing down the noise (it's going under the stairs)...
Power Supply
2) It has 2 x PWS-902-1R. Can I take both of these out and put in one PWS-920P-SQ? Redundancy is not paramount. If I have one of the old supplies to hand and the system goes down, I'll just swap. Are there any other supplies that are worth it, since the best price I can find so far is £120. Not silly money, but if there are better deals then great

Case Fans
3) The three main internal fans are FAN-0095L4. What are my options here? I've read that I can drop in FAN-0127L4, but at current prices from what I can find these would cost about £100 to replace
4) I haven't been able to get at the rear fans yet. Any ideas on replacing those?

Internal Drives
5) With unRaid, you have at least one parity drive and normally at least one SSD cache drive (my current config). I'm assuming it is best to keep any parity and cache drives out of the expander. Unless I know whether I've got a "B" case, I don't know which internal 2.5" drive mounts to go for (unless there are other aftermarket options). Any ideas?

6) Also, I'm looking at adding a second parity drive. Is there any way to mount 2 x 3.5 drives inside the case? My motherboard is the Supermicro X10SL7-F (microATX - about 6cm thinner than what's in there now), so there might be room to play with there?

7) My case didn't come with any "dummy" drives. I'm guessing these are important for airflow if I'm initially loading it about half full. Are there ways to fabricate these (or pick them up from somewhere)?

8) Finally, my mobo has the same front panel connector pins, but it's on a different side (right edge as you look from the front). Is there any give in the case's cable, or can you get (20-pin?) extensions?

Thank you so much for any help
Take care, Simon

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
2) If you only put in 1 PS, it will likely run very fast/loud. You'll need two SQs.

I'd personally swap the PS first, and determine if the remainder of the case fans are really the problem. I only find mine "too loud" when the system is under load -- swapping to SQ PS was enough for me.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
How do I tell which version of the SC846 I own?
There are just 3 versions of the 846 chassis: 846, 846B and 846X
The 846 (without a suffix) is the oldest version and has no window for the optional hdd kit.
The 846B chassis has a rear window for the optional hdd kit. It also ships with the power distribution board that you need for the "sq" psus.
The 846X is the "high avalability" chassis that supports up to 4 psus & 11 pcie slots.
It has 2 x PWS-902-1R. Can I take both of these out and put in one PWS-920P-SQ?
Probably not. You will need a newer power distribution board that supports the newer psus.

Edit:
If you only put in 1 PS, it will likely run very fast/loud. You'll need two SQs.
It will work fine with one psu, but you need a cover (or a psu that not plugged in) for the place where the second psu would be.

Reactions: cessquill

cessquill

Nov 30, 2017
Probably not. You will need a newer power distribution board that supports the newer psus.
Thanks for this - you're saying I've probably got the older chassis?

So I either remove the PSU completely, source a compatible (quieter) PSU or replace the board. I've got a bit of research to do...

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
The older pdb works only with the gold certified psus, for the sq psus (platinum certified) you will need the "new" pdb.

cessquill

Nov 30, 2017
The older pdb works only with the gold certified psus, for the sq psus (platinum certified) you will need the "new" pdb.
Thank you for that - after taking off the PDB plastic cover, it turns out I have a PDB-PT846-N24, which is an old one (yes?).

So if I want to upgrade the power supply (without gutting it and putting an ATX in there) I need an PDB-PT846-2824? They seem quite expensive.

I take it therefore that the PWS-920-1R doesn't fit that PDB, since it's platinum.

cessquill

Nov 30, 2017
Wow! Thank you - everything else I've read so far suggests otherwise.

I might get the SQ anyhow, and if it doesn't work then bit the bullet and upgrade the PDB.

I've now got my old mobo and system installed inside (except for the case open alert, which no longer reaches, and the PWR SMB port, which appears to have a different pin configuration between motherboards. I'll power it up later and see what happens. After I've had a sit down from lifting it...

Stankyjawnz

Aug 2, 2017
I noticed no one answered your HDD questions. I would put your parity drives in the expander. I have not come across a reason not to. I bought one of these to hold two SSDs in my SC846: caddy. You could put your OS/cache drive in there to save a 3.5 bay.

Regarding your question about dummy drives, I cut out a flat piece of cardboard to put into each empty caddy. It made a big difference. I would also suggest you cover the "speed holes" on the outside of the case to maximize the airflow through the drives bays.

Regarding fan replacement, I personally built a 120mm "fan wall" like is shown here. The only thing I am running into is that the mobo spins them down too much so I need to run with fanspeed set to "heavy IO". I am planning on implementing one of the fan control scripts out there eventually but haven't gotten to it yet.

Finally there are front panel extension cables: link.

Overall I think you're gonna like that chassis. I'm really glad I went with supermicro.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
2) If you only put in 1 PS, it will likely run very fast/loud. You'll need two SQs.
No. It’ll run Nice and quiet.

Depending how quiet you ned the case. Check my recent posts to see my fanwall change. Also just changed my xeon-d mobo heatsink to a Cooljag one with way Better cooling.

cessquill

Nov 30, 2017
Thanks guys - so much useful information! I've currently got the parity drive sitting free inside the case, but I'll likely move it to the expander. It's running a parity check at the moment though.

I'm really liking the chassis - just need to put some effort into getting the noise down a touch. Fortunately, I have a Supermicro mobo with 8xSAS ports on - 1 reverse breakout cable to the expander is *much* better for than dozens of SATA & power cables coming randomly unplugged :)

I hadn't noticed until I gutted the machine that the front panel connector was folded twice & wrapped in cable ties. Once that was snipped it's a perfect length for my board. And with the same pin layout! The only lead I've not been able to reconnect yet is the chassis intrusion - not a big deal.

Thanks again! Fan wall research...

cessquill

Nov 30, 2017
Another quick question - I'm running the Supermicro X10SL7-F motherboard.

For the initial setup, I've got the three mid fans plugged straight into the expander. As I understand it (and I may be wrong), I don't have a way of using the expander's I2C connector with that mobo, so the fans are just on 100%. I currently have three fan plugs available on the motherboard, but that's because I've only got one rear fan plugged in (until I can extend the cable for the other one).

Ultimately, I don't have enough fan ports on the motherboard to control 3 mid, 2 rear and a CPU. Are there any other options?

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Use a 3 way pm fan splitter and connect the mid plane fans to fan A or fan B header in the mobo.

If you have not replaced the fans with 120mm fans, try the Fan 0074L4. It is about as quiet as the noctua P12 which is about the only 120mm fan that is effective here and is a direct drop in replacement.

cessquill

Nov 30, 2017
Thanks for the help - I've ordered 3 FAN-0074L4 fans. After a while I'll replace it with 120mm, but it's good enough for now.

Looking at the PWM splitters, some take power from the mobo, some a separate molex/SATA power connector. Do these draw enough to choke the Fan A port, or would a regular splitter do?

maze

Apr 27, 2013
I’d run that with power from molex.. the 80mm fans suck a bit of power to be avle to move the amounts of air needed

cessquill

Nov 30, 2017
I’d run that with power from molex.. the 80mm fans suck a bit of power to be avle to move the amounts of air needed
Thank you - I was guessing as much. I'll run a splitter from the expander - probably be tidiest.

Necrotyr

Jun 25, 2017
Denmark
There are just 3 versions of the 846 chassis: 846, 846B and 846X
The 846 (without a suffix) is the oldest version and has no window for the optional hdd kit.
The 846B chassis has a rear window for the optional hdd kit.
My chassis has the rear window, but it'll not fit the HDD kit, only the ODD kit, so there might be another version in between the 846 and 846B, an 846A?