Intel 7mm SSD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
Stupid question, but if I get a used Intel 7mm SATA SSD like a S3510, 3610 3710, for my workstation am I going to have a problem with the connector sizes or voltages or anything vs a standard 2.5 SATA SSD? Thanks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Excepting enterprise SAS actually most especially Samsung SSD is 7mm for a good long while, does help with airflow if mounting stacked.

Cheddoleum

Feb 19, 2014
I've had 7mm drives come with a 2mm plastic shim in the box to thicken them up for some strange reason. Since the mounting holes and the connectors are always positioned in a fixed place in relation to the bottom (just about flush with it really) I've never understood what sort of installation would need this. As Evan points out, being thinner than necessary only helps with airflow.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Air takes the path of least resistance. The spacer helps even out air flow across a whole chassis, which obviously won't matter much if you are only using a single disk in your laptop for example, but across a large array, it could mean the difference of a handful of disks not receiving enough airflow to cool or worst case, none at all. It can also create other issues, like turbulence due to differing air pressures which can reduce airflow efficiency and create additional fan noise etc :)

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Exactly, some caddies do not use the screws but rather the physical size and hence the spacer.