BestBuy-WD 8TB External-Limit 1 per order-$130

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
Got mine in the post today. I’m going to use it as an external, so no shucking here unfortunately.

Anyone know why it has a sticker on the packing box, and on a slip inside the box, stating it has a lithium battery in it?

pmo

Jan 29, 2017
Do you know whether that will be online only again (and sell out quickly) or also in stores?
I can't speak for all stores, but I know some stores will have them. You could get the SKU off the website and go to your local store and have them lookup that SKU and check inventory. Stores might have BF inventory already.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Btw, does anyone know what kind of 2.5" disk is inside WD - easystore 4TB External USB 3.0 Portable? Are these reliable? The reviews are good, but i can't see ppl opening the case to see the actual drive inside.
I'm planning to order a few to build a custom NAS using one OrangePi.
I've heard the WD 2.5 drives now have the USB controller integrated into the daughterboard instead of having the USB->SATA adapters. Makes shucking pointless.

And the Seagate 4tb portable is SMR. I have two of those and while I haven't actually checked, they definitely behave like it (single digit sustained writes once cache is filled).

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I've heard the WD 2.5 drives now have the USB controller integrated into the daughterboard instead of having the USB->SATA adapters. Makes shucking pointless.

And the Seagate 4tb portable is SMR. I have two of those and while I haven't actually checked, they definitely behave like it (single digit sustained writes once cache is filled).
Applicable to the normal WD my passport range if drives, yes the USB is on the drive controller board.

apnar

Mar 5, 2011
Are these confirmed to be WD Red?
They are white labels that seem to be identical in every way with the exception of having the 3v feature (which means depending on your situation you may need to tape a pin or use adapter to power them).

Harry P. Nyce

Harry P. Nyce
Sep 27, 2017
Btw, does anyone know what kind of 2.5" disk is inside WD - easystore 4TB External USB 3.0 Portable? Are these reliable? The reviews are good, but i can't see ppl opening the case to see the actual drive inside.
Would be very curious to find your results. Not really certain how to best go about adding more (cheap) 2.5" bulk storage to my LSI 9266-8i controller. Older used SAS drives seem most reasonable, however i've painted myself into a corner with the Cisco C-series rack mount server i acquired and am too cheap to spend a bundle on the $15 drive trays/caddies for a dozen and a half SAS disks. Just beginning the process of searching for options. Thanks! Good luck with yer NAS build, sir.

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
got one, and trying to get one more, site just not responding/crash ...

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
I thought this deal was supposed to be in store only? They open at 5pm today.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
It appears a lot of the BF deals are also online too. Some are very specficially in sore only like the $179 TV that one says in store but others are online and i suspect in store too.

Son of Homer

May 9, 2016
They still have one for $160, but the model number shows WDBCKA0080HBK-NESN, and the one for $130 shows NEBB. What is the difference between NESN and NEBB?

Stankyjawnz

Aug 2, 2017
I have heard on Reddit there is a higher chance that the NEBB has a white label rather than red label. No practical difference, unless you have a problem with the 3v pin as discussed earlier.

Reactions: Son of Homer