Tyan S32272NR-C958 Review lowest power 16 core Atom platform

• Thread starter Patrick Kennedy
  • Start date
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Robert Q

Jan 20, 2016
Looking to upgrade to faster internet speeds (1Gbs in my area, 2 in the works soon) but would like to accommodate 5Gbs (as the DOCSIS 3.1 standard allows for at least 5Gbs) and am wondering if something like the Tyan board can accommodate pfsense at 5Gbs speeds (or perhaps faster) assuming I add the needed network card. Granted, the Tyan board many not be the best option, so looking at options from Supermicro but more interested in if the processor can handle it. I currently use the Atom C2750 as my firewall with pfsense and based on my estimates, using utilization as a guide, I can manage between 1 to 1.5 Gbs with my current setup considering the packages/number of rules I have set up.

Of course, all the while I am trying to keep costs and TCO to a minimum while being a bit forward looking so I focus on my day job :)

Any thoughts.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
The bigger issue that pfSense will run into is limitations on FreeBSD packet handling. This may be informative as to where pfSense is going.

Reactions: BoredSysadmin

Robert Q

Jan 20, 2016
The bigger issue that pfSense will run into is limitations on FreeBSD packet handling. This may be informative as to where pfSense is going.

Thanks Patrick,

I admit I am not a network guy, but after listening to the video and doing a quick internet lookup for VPP (VPP/What is VPP? - fd.io), and in particular listening to a comment the presenter made (I am paraphrasing) regarding his son building a 10 core i7 rig with a 40gbe connection for testing/demo purposes, the i7 not even getting close to the CPU topping out, saturating the network connection caught my attention.

The combination of video and quick research suggests, for my purposes, the new pfsense architecture for 3.0 may handle the load I suggested in my above note with (perhaps, my speculation completely) an 8 core Atom processor will do the trick.

I only wish more more graphs were available, and a better sense of when 3.0 will be available. Also, based on the link above VPP does not run on FreeBSD so looks like a change may be in the works.

In any case, this all suggests to me that perhaps I should wait a bit to see what pfsense comes out with before making a hardware decision.

Thanks for the intel!!!!