Which quad E7 systems will boot faster?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

anhtu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had two Xeon E7 systems booting earlier today for OS installations and I noticed something, they are really slow.

The Dell has 4x E7-8890 V4's while the Supermicro has 4x E7-8870 V3's.

Back in college there was a local bar that had turtle races on St. Patrick's day. In some ways, the speed reminded me of that kind of racing despite the fact that these systems each have a massive amount of compute.

Here is the plan: vote in this thread. I am going to set each system to defaults, logon via IPMI then boot and make a video of it. I will install additional network cards, NVMe drives and a LSI HBA in the Supermicro to make it relatively similar. Both systems will boot CentOS 7.2 and we will record from hitting IPMI power on to the logon screen in CentOS.

Cast your votes and feel free to comment with reasons in this thread.

ruffy91

Oct 6, 2012
Switzerland
Google has your ass with coreboot-NERF and u-root. With their fully open-source replacement of the UEFI they brought down the boot time of a winterfell node (OCP WiWynn) from 7 minutes to 20s.
They already have 4 motherboards supported (unfortunately I couldn't find out which).

Also removes Intel ME crap and UEFI Extensibility security problems.