Intel S3700 400GB $165 OBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
If I see any at good price over 1tb then I tend to snap them up but right now I have not seen any for a while.

The used prices are simply a reflection of the current market conditions relating to NAND storage rather than the 3700 being that much better that the 3710 or anything else out there.

Black Ninja

Apr 23, 2015
If I see any at good price over 1tb then I tend to snap them up but right now I have not seen any for a while.

The used prices are simply a reflection of the current market conditions relating to NAND storage rather than the 3700 being that much better that the 3710 or anything else out there.
And speaking of the marker conditions, It's just unusual older used discontinued drives to rise in price , while newer and much faster and cheaper now. Usually ....like Windows Vista/XP downgrade happening ... is when something went wrong.

Black Ninja

Apr 23, 2015
Just keep in mind a brand new retail (with full 5 years warranty) Intel DC S3710 800GB is $974.99
So I don't get it when somebody ask $900 (or even more) for it's used DC S3700 800GB on ebay.

I personally bought a S3700 800GB for $260 from ebay and then in a few weeks sold it for $399, perhaps I could've sold it for more.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I'd never pay more than $175 for 400GB S3700 or S3710.

You can get SAS3 drives in similar capacity for $165-$200 and $225-285 will yield 800GB SAS3 drives if you keep an eye out :)

If you're in a hurry obviously deals don't really apply, but I've had no problem buying DOZENS in this price range and know other members here who do the same so it's def. an option :)
Ditto/same school of thought, hit it on the head!!!

EDIT: Think I said it in another thread recently around here that I am pretty firm on HUSMM devices @ $70/200gb, $140/400gb, $250/800gb (sorry I am a hgst/sas man and not intel/sata but s3700/3710's are great as well).

Hell w/ market and nand shortages...supply and demand and my demand is NOT up since I have all I need for quite some time. Just hunt/be patient as I always suggest and don't be afraid to make offers.

Back to main thread topic/point, I as well am VERY confident to acquire several hundred TB write/read lba drives of this quality (s3700/3710/husmm/hussl)...they are MONSTERS, I cannot EVEN begin to explain it but once you know...YOU KNOW :-D wink wink

Last edited:

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Yes SAS drives are still better prices than intel SATA right now, more options (and often more performance) but with the cost of extra power consumption and needing a SAS adapter

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
No need for sas adapters for those of us w/ chassis/backplanes that support that natively and sas drives are typically more reliable/better queueing and postured for ent market.

Reactions: T_Minus

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
No need for sas adapters for those of us w/ chassis/backplanes that support that natively and sas drives are typically more reliable/better queueing and postured for ent market.
What I mean is if you have no SAS controller at all and it’s pure SATA then adding the first SAS drive you need to pay the price initially.
If you have it then as you say no price to pay.

All sata is nice as a low power solution , SAS being better performing.

Harry P. Nyce

Harry P. Nyce
Sep 27, 2017
Ohh SAS3 SSD sounds very nice, but considering how picky I am:): it has to be HGST , it has to be low usage, it has to be non-vendor lock branded (dell,hp, etc) and then ..... good buy good price of .. $225-285:)
Can you elaborate a bit on the potential drawbacks of vendor locked drives? I stumbled my way here while researching enterprise hardware to get my homelab projects moving forward and this community has been an absolute wealth of knowledge. I couldn't find any reasonable intel ssds and you guys (especially @whitey) helped me dig up a pair of 800GB Hitachi disks to get started with June 2016 date on them, but they are IBM branded. CIMC doesn't report S.M.A.R.T. data from either array (ssd or hdd) if I recall correctly. I'm honestly not even sure what drive tools to begin using. I think I paid $295/ea. x2

Edit: this failed to return smart status
# esxcli storage core device smart get -d device

Last edited:

Harry P. Nyce

Harry P. Nyce
Sep 27, 2017
Thank you, great article. I read through only after discovering on my own how difficult it could be for a neophyte to begin researching enterprise SSDs. Mine are only showing up as 6Gbps, and having difficulties knowing which tools to test, but they're working well in a simple RAID1 (800gb x2) datastore for my VMs even on my older 9266-8i

Edit: I understood these were overkill for my meager needs, but it's a cost of doing business as most servers we work with these days are 100% remote, so I'm trying to fill in some massive gaps in my knowledge. Thanks for the input!

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Other than the 520b to 512b block conversion the main other issue is lack of easy firmware updates but if it’s on a recent well tested version I would not be keep to change it anyway. Usually by the time those stuff hits the used market just the latest firmware at that time will be more than fine for its entire life going forward.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Ditto/same school of thought, hit it on the head!!!

EDIT: Think I said it in another thread recently around here that I am pretty firm on HUSMM devices @ $70/200gb, $140/400gb, $250/800gb (sorry I am a hgst/sas man and not intel/sata but s3700/3710's are great as well).

Hell w/ market and nand shortages...supply and demand and my demand is NOT up since I have all I need for quite some time. Just hunt/be patient as I always suggest and don't be afraid to make offers.

Back to main thread topic/point, I as well am VERY confident to acquire several hundred TB write/read lba drives of this quality (s3700/3710/husmm/hussl)...they are MONSTERS, I cannot EVEN begin to explain it but once you know...YOU KNOW :-D wink wink
what HUSMM drives do you recommend? are there any particular models to avoid?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I've had no problem using OEM branded SAS3 drives and SAS2 for that matter.

I try not to mix-and-match firmware versions or OEM and non-OEM but I have and used them together in the same ZFS pool without issue.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Yes maybe I should have also said the issues with firmware have also not affected me. So far no issues at all myself but others have had some issues.

Harry P. Nyce

Harry P. Nyce
Sep 27, 2017
@Harry P. Nyce

Use this procedure to wipe them: (sg_format)

How to reformat HDD & SSD to 512B Sector Size

Then hook up compatible HBA/raid ctrl and pick your stg of choice/off to the races. I know in Freenas/ZFS derivatives you can just hook to HBA or a passthru HBA to all-in-one stg appliance VM and create pools after this to your liking.
Oh gosh, thanks you. My 800GB HGST drives are stamped with an IBM sticker on them, but appear to already be 512B sectors and are already running in a simple RAID1 datastore under ESXi 6.5 (free), however i'm not getting any S.M.A.R.T. data reported into my Cisco Integrated Management Controller (essentially iDRAC). I need to do more research and/or look into command line options for the RAID controller OS.

EDIT: i believe these are the drives i purchased based on your suggestions: 1600GB & 800GB Ultrastar SSD1600MM SAS SSD | HGST

I paid a bit of a premium ($295) but i'm super happy with these drives. Wish i had four of them, but oh well. I couldn't really justify spending 3x the price of the server on drives -- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=382248629846&view=all&tid=842706608025

Last edited:

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
So, is HUSMM8080ASS20X 800GB for $200 considered a good deal? And a good reliable drive without issues?
Yes, I'd say so and please pass that deal along once you're done w/ it/get what you need. :-D

I got HUSMM1680 drives for $250 each (x's 4) awhile back and felt like the king for a day so while those are 1 gen sas3 older they are right abt on par w/ HUSMM1680's. Think a smaller manufacturing nand process is all that differentiates the two.

Last edited: