Intel S3700 400GB $165 OBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Snip12

Oct 4, 2017
Maybe a good deal? These are not OEM drives per seller

Intel SSDSC2BA400G3 | eBay

Per the seller it has been pulled from a Nutanix environment, stats of one drive:

Power on Time : 21848 Hours
Host Write : 573.06 TB
Host Read : 297.32 TB
Power Cycle Count : 35

So it does have a high TBW, so YMMV

Reactions: MiniKnight

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
i think it is decent deal. however, last year i got 4x S3700/400GB for $135 each. that said, i haven't seen them at that low of a price recently.

Black Ninja

Apr 23, 2015
I haven't seen such a high usage. I don't know if I would pay anything for such a high usage. I got 4xIntel DC S3700 400GB with under 1tb of writes for $180 each.

No wonder they were selling them.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Those drives have 10DWPD/5y endurance, thats almost 7 Petabyte f0r the 400GB model.
So 500 TB is like 15% ...

Black Ninja

Apr 23, 2015
Those drives have 10DWPD/5y endurance, thats almost 7 Petabyte f0r the 400GB model.
So 500 TB is like 15% ...
I am sure everybody is familiar with the factory warranty specs sheet , otherwise who would spend so much money on old discontinued drive.

Your math is 100% correct. But that's not how it works in real life, if you think you can write safely 6.9999TB and after you reach 7 TB your drive may die.

Let's just use consumer drives with much lower life "expectancy" cause is easier. Let say Intel 535 is rated for 40TB. You most likely will get a lot of damaged relocated sectors long before you reach 40TB. Intel won't considered is bad drive, until the last spare sector is exhausted.

I personally wouldn't use a drive (for something serious) after it reaches the point of start relocating sectors. It's still usable for desktop use if you want, but I would put in in production or raid waiting for the next sector to relocate which will kill my raid (if it's raid0) or start freezing the system.

Reactions: risty

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I am sure everybody is familiar with the factory warranty specs sheet , otherwise who would spend so much money on old discontinued drive.

Your math is 100% correct. But that's not how it works in real life, if you think you can write safely 6.9999TB and after you reach 7 TB your drive may die.

Let's just use consumer drives with much lower life "expectancy" cause is easier. Let say Intel 535 is rated for 40TB. You most likely will get a lot of damaged relocated sectors long before you reach 40TB. Intel won't considered is bad drive, until the last spare sector is exhausted.

I personally wouldn't use a drive (for something serious) after it reaches the point of start relocating sectors. It's still usable for desktop use if you want, but I would put in in production or raid waiting for the next sector to relocate which will kill my raid (if it's raid0) or start freezing the system.

What's your problem with them? I have 900TBW on 200GB S3700 going strong...

Sorry, but if you refuse to use 400GB S3700 because they have 500TBW or 700TBW that's your own issue and doesn't represent majority of users.

Comparing the usage to consumer drives is also silly at best, they have MUCH LESS reserve space... use the Intel ToolKit or other tools to see % reserve/life left... but 500TBW is hardly "used" up on Intel enterprise drives with PBs of endurance.

Black Ninja

Apr 23, 2015
What's your problem with them? I have 900TBW on 200GB S3700 going strong...

Sorry, but if you refuse to use 400GB S3700 because they have 500TBW or 700TBW that's your own issue and doesn't represent majority of users.

Comparing the usage to consumer drives is also silly at best, they have MUCH LESS reserve space... use the Intel ToolKit or other tools to see % reserve/life left... but 500TBW is hardly "used" up on Intel enterprise drives with PBs of endurance.

I have no problem with the drive in fact Intel DC S3700 800GB is my favorite drive.

You are right I don't represent the majority of people(I am taking that as a compliment). I am just stating my opinion, which is (with all due respect): 500TBW is too much usage, I wouldn't even consider it unless is free.

In all fairness I think if you tell upfront the buyer are what is the TBW on the used drive you sell and let them decide, then is all good.

P.S. I had e problem with one intel s3700 I bought from ebay , cause it was listed as "low usage" and it turns out that His "low usage" was very difference from mine and didn't want the drive. He had the same argument about being "barely used" according to the original manufacturer spec sheet , while for me it was very much used with 80TBW. I always ask about the exact TBW since then.:)

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I have no problem with the drive in fact Intel DC S3700 800GB is my favorite drive.

You are right I don't represent the majority of people(I am taking that as a compliment). I am just stating my opinion, which is (with all due respect): 500TBW is too much usage, I wouldn't even consider it unless is free.

In all fairness I think if you tell upfront the buyer are what is the TBW on the used drive you sell and let them decide, then is all good.

P.S. I had e problem with one intel s3700 I bought from ebay , cause it was listed as "low usage" and it turns out that His "low usage" was very difference from mine and didn't want the drive. He had the same argument about being "barely used" according to the original manufacturer spec sheet , while for me it was very much used with 80TBW. I always ask about the exact TBW since then.:)
Your opinion on low usage and actual low usage apparently differ greatly.
500TBW is low usage.

I respect your opinion for your buying, etc :) that's obviously up to you :)

But, technically speaking your opinion is practically 'brand new' or 'barely used' not simply 'low usage' ;)

Either way this is the best price / going price for s3700 400gb as of last few months, prices hvae jumped a ton :( :(

Black Ninja

Apr 23, 2015
Oh I know about the prices, cause I am always on the market for another S3700 800GB.:(:(:(

But this drives older it gets, more expansive it becomes, go figure ?! It's like a bottle of fine wine pretty much.:):):)

I remember a deal (in this forum) for S3700 800GB for $199 from newegg , with 2-3 TBW. They had plenty of them, and now they are double or more.

P.S. Is it really S3710 so bad that will resurrect used S3700 market ? Like Vista and XP Pro back in a day.

Reactions: T_Minus

Black Ninja

Apr 23, 2015
If you don't mine me asking(to satisfy my curiosity), what did you used the poor guy ( S3700 200GB) for ? To put almost PB of writes on it ?

Black Ninja

Apr 23, 2015
s3710 are even better but much more rare :(
But they are not discontinued model and you can buy them brand new for little over a dollar per GB. I was going to go for S3710 considering all the benefit they should have over older model , but I heard some issue in forum in raid and decide to go the safe (LSI tested/approved) way.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
If you don't mine me asking(to satisfy my curiosity), what did you used the poor guy ( S3700 200GB) for ? To put almost PB of writes on it ?
I didn't put those writes on it, I got them with almost PBW from another forum member.

They're (I got 2 or 3 forget exact # now) in a 24x S3700 200GB JBOD pool :)

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
But they are not discontinued model and you can buy them brand new for little over a dollar per GB. I was going to go for S3710 considering all the benefit they should have over older model , but I heard some issue in forum in raid and decide to go the safe (LSI tested/approved) way.
I'd never pay more than $175 for 400GB S3700 or S3710.

You can get SAS3 drives in similar capacity for $165-$200 and $225-285 will yield 800GB SAS3 drives if you keep an eye out :)

If you're in a hurry obviously deals don't really apply, but I've had no problem buying DOZENS in this price range and know other members here who do the same so it's def. an option :)

Black Ninja

Apr 23, 2015
What controller you are using behind them ? I assume they are in some sort or raid , which is your esxi datastore perhaps ?

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
What controller you are using behind them ? I assume they are in some sort or raid , which is your esxi datastore perhaps ?
I've used them on SAS2 HBA and now SAS3 HBA. They're in a SC216 non-expander backplane.

You're correct, used in pool of mirrors on ZFS.

someday soon they may get retired for SAS 400GB drives :)

Swapping out 24x drives for 24x new ones is scary LOL!!

Black Ninja

Apr 23, 2015
I'd never pay more than $175 for 400GB S3700 or S3710.

You can get SAS3 drives in similar capacity for $165-$200 and $225-285 will yield 800GB SAS3 drives if you keep an eye out :)

If you're in a hurry obviously deals don't really apply, but I've had no problem buying DOZENS in this price range and know other members here who do the same so it's def. an option :)
Ohh SAS3 SSD sounds very nice, but considering how picky I am:): it has to be HGST , it has to be low usage, it has to be non-vendor lock branded (dell,hp, etc) and then ..... good buy good price of .. $225-285:)

Sing

Aug 3, 2016
Oh I know about the prices, cause I am always on the market for another S3700 800GB.:(:(:(

But this drives older it gets, more expansive it becomes, go figure ?! It's like a bottle of fine wine pretty much.:):):)

I remember a deal (in this forum) for S3700 800GB for $199 from newegg , with 2-3 TBW. They had plenty of them, and now they are double or more.

P.S. Is it really S3710 so bad that will resurrect used S3700 market ? Like Vista and XP Pro back in a day.
Yes, I bought one because it was extremely cheap at that time.
400GB was around $135.
Why not go for 800GB (double the storage for $65 only)
Yet, the drive is still sitting in my drawer, together with a brand new Plextor M6P 256GB and a Toshiba 400GB SSD. (The Toshiba 960GB is installed on my laptop.)
I was crazy and cannot stop myself from buying these cheap SSD, even I knew I have no way to use them at all.