Mikrotik CRS317-1G-16S+RM / 10GbE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

xnaron

Oct 31, 2015
I ordered one today. I just need something to do dumb switching on the same subnet and I'm thinking this should fit the bill.

xnaron

Oct 31, 2015
AFAIK it only supports Mikrotik's own discovery protocol :(

I just took some random SMF 1G transcievers and put one in my HP switch and the other in the CRS317, seems to link up perfect.

Mikrotik reports them as PeakOptical...

FYI: the switch doesn't recognice 10/1G dualmode transcievers (FTLX1471D3BCV-IT) when it tries to link 1G.
Hi,
I'd like to connect my HP switch as well. To be clear you are saying that the FTLX1471D3BCV-IT doesn't work correct? What is the model number of the SMF 1G transceivers that work? What HP switch model do you have?
thanks,
Brendin

Necrotyr

Jun 25, 2017
Denmark
Hi,
I'd like to connect my HP switch as well. To be clear you are saying that the FTLX1471D3BCV-IT doesn't work correct? What is the model number of the SMF 1G transceivers that work? What HP switch model do you have?
thanks,
Brendin
The dualmode transcievers didn't work no.

I tried this one: PeakOptical PSFP-24-3311S-12FH

Andrewyi08

Sep 26, 2017
I have not tested it under full load yet. Below 40°C the switch is completely silent.
Code:
[admin@MikroTik] /system health> print
      temperature: 39C
  cpu-temperature: 38C
       psu1-state: ok
       psu2-state: ok
       fan1-speed: 0RPM
       fan2-speed: 0RPM
It has two 4-pin fans which starts at 2865 rpms. For some people it might be annoying, a specially when the switch is placed in non server rooms.

View attachment 6514

You could probably try to replace the fans with the silent equivalents or install another one on the heatsink at back to keep the temperature low.

The temperature tresholds could be a little higher. Need to check if the values can be adjusted.
How loud are the fans when they kick in? Do they come on in normal use at normal (ie. not excessively hot) room temperatures?

I_D

Aug 3, 2017
looking forward to the review, thinking of picking one up too
was thinking of the ubiquiti first, but this looks better, cheaper and has more ports :D

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I still wonder what the aggregated 10G speed will be - i.e. how many ports can you actually use (switching) at 10G speed at once:)

xnaron

Oct 31, 2015
Got mine today. Don't have much of a load on it yet but it is working for a few devices on the same subnet. Mine came with RouterOS 6.40.2 on it. I want to partition my 10G gear into two vlan's. One for a storage network (iscsi) and the other for a 10G network used for backup and other. It looks like RouterOS is overkill for this purpose. I'm thinking SwitchOS would be good for this scenario. Anyone running SwitchOS on theirs with some thoughts on it?
thanks,
Brendin

xnaron

Oct 31, 2015
I'm running SwOS on mine, but I ended up doing port isolation instead of VLANs as the performance went from 9,7 Gbps to 7,6 Gbps with VLANs enabled. :/
Have you tested running iperf at the same time on 2 or more sets or isolated ports? Wondering how it does...

am4593

Feb 20, 2017
can't wait for the STH review on this thing. I badly want to know what its L3 performance is like. Would be kind of scary to move to a 10GB switch which can only approach 10GB with just a few machines attached and not all 16.

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
Has anyone tried a DAC cable between the Mikrotik SFP+ port and a HP switch 1GB SFP port?

I linked two HP1810-24g's with a SFP+ DAC and it worked. It would be really cool to the point I would buy one if I could connect my 1810's to the Mikrotik with SFP+ DACs. They would then automagically run at 10G when and if HP comes out with a 18xx line with a SFP+ cage.