FreeNAS 11 CIFS 10GB write speed

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
Need to setup temporary storage to move large Veeam backups too.

Dual L5640's
128G RAM
12x1TB Dell NLSAS 1TB
Intel 10G mezz card

I tried FREENAS. Read speeds were snappy (700-800MB/sec) write speeds were only 130-160MB. BAD.

Tried RAID10 as well, and it's not much better, which makes me think it's something else besides drives.

Just for kicks I loaded 2012 with a 9266-8i card, and writes were nearly triple 450MB. I could leave it on windows, but I'd prefer FreeNAS to keep licensing in check, in case the temporary turns out to be a bit longer.

Tried autotune, didn't help. Read the thread on 9.3, and saw that CIFS maybe single threaded, my CPU's aren't doing much.

Any thoughts?

Danic

Feb 6, 2015
jrdm.us
This help me get some better CIFS performance while ago. I applied these settings in FreeNAS 9.3, not sure if is needed in FreeNAS 11.
In FreeNAS - Services - CIFS Settings, force a Server maximum protocol of SMB3.
In FreeNAS - CIFS Share settings - Under VFS Objects add 'aio_pthread'
Then add the following to Auxiliary Parameters:
aio read size = 1
aio write size = 1

Verify you have bi-directional 10gig throughput with iperf.

Also the more vdevs, faster your writes will be. 6 pairs of mirrors should yield the fastest write speed. Not enough space? try 4 groups of 3 drive raidz1

Is NFS an option? NFS with sync=disabled can be very fast option.

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
I tried it with 6 pairs of mirrors with really no change (Mentioned RAID10 in OP). I'll run FIO tonight to check.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Verify your network speed via iperf. I had similar issues when tryint to zfs send between 2 FreeNAS hosts and it ended up being a network issue in my bare-metal freenas host.

See this thread for details. Start at Post #19. The issue was never resolved.

How to acheive SMOKIN' ZFS send/recv transfers

K D

Dec 24, 2016
You never adjusted those 10+gbe settings did you?;)
Tried for 2 days and gave up. Looked into several tunables in the freenas forums as well as freebsd articles and nothing worked.

Installed omnios on the AIO and directly connected the disks from my third backup to it. Did a local zfs send and filled up the pool. Now I have sync back pro running in a VM to manually sync up incremental changes daily. I have a few other things to complete before I can turn my attention back to it.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
ah ok. Glad you got the base issue resolved if not fixed.
Yeah. The main requirement was to sync up with my new AIO. That is done. But there seems to be an issue with overall speeds in the freenas box. I'm only getting about 80-90MBps via SMB. I hadn't noticed it till this issue cropped up. Right now I can live with it but it needs to be resolved for the long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
The kernelbased/ multithreaded SMB server on Solaris is quite often faster than SAMBA but mostly all operating system are nowadays optimized to 1G networks. With 10G you must modify settings on Solaris as well like to increase tcp, vmxnet3 or NFS buffers or disable interrupt throttelling on Windows. Jumboframes can be another option but only for a physical network not softwarebased connectivity like on an AiO.

Compare tuning options for Solaris ex http://www.napp-it.org/doc/downloads/performance_smb2.pdf Maybe you can compare your config with AJA with 4k/RGB settings. AJA, a free testool for videoediting use cases gives a good impression for large file performance.