Replacement for Rackable SE3016 JBOD?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Steve Jones

Apr 12, 2017
SF, CA, USA
Apologies if this turns out to be an FAQ, but I did go back at least six months in this forum and saw the MD1000 discussed: Dell MD1000 with non Dell hard drive, is it work?

The PSU in my SE3016 died during a power outage a few months ago (swapped in an old HP MSA60 @ 1.5Gbps). Replacing the PSU produced an array that would run, and the host (HP DL380 G6 / LSI SAS2008) could see the "environmental services" for the array, but not the drives. And it seems the supply of this model has dried up over the past few years...

Not interested in replacing the DL380 at the moment, so I'm in the market for a JBOD with at least 12 3.5" SATA-capable bays. A single 4 port host connection (SFF-8088, etc) is fine, but I've no objection to something that would run in a split-backplane config and use another 4 ports. Minimum speed is 3Gbps w/ SATA drives (Toshiba 3TB DT01ACA3 currently, hoping for 6+TB replacements in a year). Redundant PSUs might be nice, too. ;)

From searching the 'Net today there are at least a few possibilities without spending a lot:
  • HP D2600 (did I say without spending a lot?)
  • HP M6612 - if actually a different model to above
  • HP MSA 2000 - certain models, maybe AJ751A?
  • Dell MD3x00
  • Dell MD1000
  • Hitachi AMS-2x00

So, anybody care to recommend one of these over the others, or something else entirely?

Thanks!
--Steve.

Last edited:

manxam

Jul 25, 2015
I've got two SE3016 that are looking for a home. One has "bmc" card, the other does not. Both plastic carrier variants.
You know you want one! :)

Steve Jones

Apr 12, 2017
SF, CA, USA
I've got two SE3016 that are looking for a home. ...
You know you want one! :)
Thanks. While I was happy enough with the SE3016, I won't be sorry to move to a better design. Also, other posts suggest you're in Canadia. There are two outfits within a 15 minute drive of the job I start next week (California) that have the Dell MD1000 in stock at a nice price, so if somebody doesn't have a strong recommendation by Tuesday-ish...

Steve Jones

Apr 12, 2017
SF, CA, USA
Just to follow up, I ran with my backup/retired MSA60 for a couple months while I started a new job and made some business trips. Eventually I picked up an HP D2600/M6612 (AJ832A) via eBay, with dual controllers and rack rails. Being able to simply pull drives from the MSA and plug them into the D2600 might have played a part... The D2600 is happy to run at 6Gbps, if my drives could support it. FreeBSD 10.x kernel and LSI SAS2008 sees it this way:
Code:
ses0 at mps0 bus 0 scbus2 target 23 lun 0
ses0: <HP D2600 SAS AJ832A 0144> Fixed Enclosure Services SPC-3 SCSI device
ses0: Serial Number CNxxxxyyyy
ses0: 600.000MB/s transfers
ses0: Command Queueing enabled
ses0: SCSI-3 ENC Device
The MD1000s near the then-new job disappeared as soon as I decided to buy one. :( Others could be found cheap, but some lacked trays, others lacked a second controller and PSU, etc etc. The Lenovo SA120 looked very nice, but I didn't find one complete with trays at a competitive price while I was looking.