memory problem with X9SRA - won't post with >3 DIMMs, population doesn't match docs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ljwobker

Oct 12, 2017
I picked up a used X9SRA to use as a home server. Plan was to put an E5-2630LV2, 32GB (8x4GB) DIMMs in there, memory modules are ECC Registered DDR3-1333 Micron modules. When I got it put together (all memory installed in all 8 slots) it wouldn't POST, so I started breadboarding the thing... and got some very odd results. Bullet points from the various troubleshooting:
  1. With a single DIMM in slot A1, machine boots fine.
  2. ALL of the modules will boot if they're the only one installed (slot A1). I did this to make sure that the modules themselves were all good.
  3. With modules in A1 + B1 it boots.
  4. Modules in A1 + B1 + C1, it does NOT boot. This is bad. ;-)
  5. With A1 + B1 + D1, it DOES boot. This is really odd, as this is out-of-order for the memory population.
  6. In no case could I ever get it to boot with >3 modules installed.
  7. I was able to get it to boot once or twice (but never consistently) with modules in A1 +A2 + B1 (this shouldn't be a supported config, but it worked at least some of the time)
  8. I thoroughly checked (magnifying glass, I do this stuff for a living at work) the pins and pads for the socket/CPU -- they're fine.

This is just weird: when I got to step 4 above I just figured maybe the traces between the CPU and slot C1 were bad... but the result from step5 confused me, and not being able to get any other combination to work (although no, I did NOT try all 255 possible combinations!)

What else can I look for? Is there any way to isolate what it might be, or is this just basically guaranteed to be a partially-dead board?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...00/x9sra.cfm&usg=AOvVaw30FqmqrYUD8q_lzhZSm-bN

LukeP

Feb 12, 2017
you probably have Rank 4 ram which can only go in a certain number per channel per cpu.

since you dont even mention Rank in the ram specs, which is important, you might have looked over this issue!

ljwobker

Oct 12, 2017
Embarassingly -- turns out it was two of the chassis standoffs shorting pins on the back of the motherboard. I thought I had them set up correctly but didn't.... SuperMicro's customer service line was amazingly helpful.

Reactions: BLinux and LukeP

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Embarassingly -- turns out it was two of the chassis standoffs shorting pins on the back of the motherboard. I thought I had them set up correctly but didn't.... SuperMicro's customer service line was amazingly helpful.
glad you found the problem. i'm having a similar issue on a X8DT6-F board that was working for several months until last week. unfortunately for me, i think the motherboard has gone bad some how.