What is it ? Intel P3608

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TedB

Dec 2, 2016
I have managed to get a deal on Intel P308 1.6TB from Thailand, it arrived and the label states that it's an engineering sample.

Standard Intel P3008 1.6TB exposes two 800GB drives to the system, however this one exposes two 1.2TB drives.

Label states that his is a model SSDPECME016T4, however the "isdct" application returns a model as: SSDPECME026T4S. Notice that they differ by additional last letter "S" and in place of the size it's "26" instead of "16".

Any ideas what I have bought ?

I have a feeling that someone has resized the available storage space using whole available nand, lowering the endurance and performance of the drive.

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
The P3608's were two drives in one PCIe slot. If you've got 2 1.2TB then you've got one of two possibilities. You may have a 2.4TB drive. Or you may have a drive with full NAND exposed and no overprovisioning. If you wanted to provision down to 2 800GB then you'd have your 1.6TB. That'd be a 50%. I'd call that huge.

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
@Biren78 any idea how to check on this drive full available nand and how much is exposed ?
As a dork, I'd look at the nand packages and count quantity and lookup their capacity using google. That'll at least tell you how much raw NAND is there.

Reactions: T_Minus

TedB

Dec 2, 2016
@Biren78 looking from the sides it seems to have same amount of nand chips as in google images.

However before I take it apart, does anybody know what thermal paste should I use on them afterwards ? It does seem to be denser and more solid then the one we use for cpus.