Dell iDRAC 8 Enterprise

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

alex1002

Apr 9, 2013
Did they move to licence now. I taught it was an add-on card.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
And you can buy hardware to get a dedicated iDRAC port.

Dell iDRAC8 Enterprise | Dell
That link is actually for "Dell iDRAC8 Enterprise Perpetual Digital License All Poweredge, TNTD0, YRCC2 (Digital License All Poweredge Platforms CusKit)". iDRAC6 was the last one that was an actual hardware part (iDRAC 6 Basic uses a shared LAN port and provides minimal functions). It was standard on higher-end x10 models and optional on lower-end x10 models. iDRAC6 Enterprise adds a dedicated LAN port, SD card slot (for Dell-certified media), and all advanced functions. It requires iDRAC6 Basic to be installed, so for the lower-end x10's you need both Basic and Enterprise, while on the higher-end ones that already have Basic, you just need Enterprise.

The newer generations are built into the mainboard and are enabled with license keys. This guarantees Dell gets a perpetual high revenue stream as there is no aftermarket. Whereas an iDrac6 Basic + Enterprise new-in-box will set you back about $25 on eBay [advertising link, not mine].

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
anyone actually buy the iDRAC8 enterprise license from ebay? seems like there is a huge price difference between Dell and ebay sellers

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I've bought 2 off eBay. You will need to send them the service tag number for your server and they will give you the license file to import.

My guess is that they are transferring the licenses from decommissioned servers.