ConnectX-3 dual port 10Gb SFP+ NIC for $129

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

segfault

Apr 5, 2016
hasno.info
@I_D I have one (T320) and there doesn't seem to be any way to use it in esx (6.5). It's going on my proxmox box because of that, so while the price point is great support is not depending on what you're trying to do. If anyone has these working in esx 6.5 let me know.

HorizonXP

May 23, 2016
That's exactly the problem I ended up having. The ConnectX-3 is a better buy for that reason alone. Or, just buy Intel X520-DA1/2 cards and call it a day. Intel cards work flawlessly in ESXi 6.5.

@I_D I have one (T320) and there doesn't seem to be any way to use it in esx (6.5). It's going on my proxmox box because of that, so while the price point is great support is not depending on what you're trying to do. If anyone has these working in esx 6.5 let me know.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Chelsio T320 dual SFP+ & 2 transceivers - 32 $

Uses more power and runs hotter, but costs a fraction.
I use several and am happy with them.
Just to get any old 10Gb SFP+ port, that might make sense if all you're looking at is cost per port; provided driver support is decent. I don't suspect driver support for Chelsio on Linux enterprise distributions will be a problem. However, that Chelsio is a N320E unit and is rather old and of a different generation than this ConnectX-3; so perhaps not a fair comparison.

the better comparison might be N320E vs ConnectX-2, which the dual port ConnectX-2 I have gotten for $40. Still higher cost than the $25 I paid for those Chelsio N320E (I bought some from the deal you posted), but the ConnectX-2 is a better card overall, so the higher cost may be justified in some people's eyes.

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
That's exactly the problem I ended up having. The ConnectX-3 is a better buy for that reason alone. Or, just buy Intel X520-DA1/2 cards and call it a day. Intel cards work flawlessly in ESXi 6.5.
how do you identify real intel cards?