Server Rack Recommendation

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I'm currently using a 25U Startech Open 4post rack. I need to expand and want to acquire another rack 14-25 U. I do not want to go for a full 42U+ rack.

What are my options for a 14-25 U fully enclosed rack?

I_D

Aug 3, 2017
Well you could start by looking on ebay, craigslist etc.
These half height racks do come available every now and then, but cost a lot more than 42U racks.
A lot of people I know were able to just pickup old 42U Dell, Compaq and HP racks from companies that are changing into new racks.
If you have the room, may as well go that route, 42U free racks beat expensive half height racks any day. :)
(Besides, you will fill that up in the years to come anyway as you get more stuff to experiment with.)

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Yeah. I see a lot of posts on CL for 42u racks. Not so much for half racks. I'd prefer the convenience and mobility of a half rack. Also I don't think I can fit a full rack where I plan to locate it.

Kybber

May 27, 2016
I was very happy with my HP S10614 14U rack, purchased at ~USD 120, before I sold it for ~USD 180 to replace it with a Kell Systems (now APC) 18U noise-insulated rack for ~USD 350. So there you have my two recommendations.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I was very happy with my HP S10614 14U rack, purchased at ~USD 120, before I sold it for ~USD 180 to replace it with a Kell Systems (now APC) 18U noise-insulated rack for ~USD 350. So there you have my two recommendations.
Thanks, I guess your new one is what is currently the APC Netshelter CX?

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Was about to place the order for a SuperMicro RACK14U when I did a final check on ebay. I found a just listed GizMac XRackPro 25U for 300$ on ebay. A 12U version of this sold in the forums last month for $400. I know freight shipping is probablt going to kill me (Still waiting on the shipper to send me the shipping cost) but the rack retails for around 3K and based on the pictures in the listing, the rack was in extremely good shape. I figured that there is not much to mess up in a rack and there were about 15 watching it within about 2 hrs of it being listed. So took a chance and hit buy. Fingers crossed.

:D:D:D:D

Reactions: Kybber and Dawg10

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Let us know what you think of it sound dampening wise. I found that my 12U is not nearly as good at reducing noise as a Netshelter CX as there is no baffling on the exhaust fans. Still much better than an open rack and you got a great price!

If the seller can't help with keys I think they are generic and not too expensive to order from the manufacturer.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Will do. It'll probably be a while before I fill it up and in any case, all my systems are quiet enough in an open rack . I was just looking for a good regular enclosed rack and the sound isolation I'm this is just a bonus. It should give me some additional thermal headroom when quieting down the servers. This was literally a last minute find. I had the supermicro 14u rack in. My cart and ready to checkout when I noticed this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Got the rack today . It is in excellent condition. Did not have the keys. I've sent a message to the seller. I'm very satisfied with it.
Common rack keys are CH751 (lots of stuff, including gas pumps!), EK333 (lots of telco stuff, some racks - mainly side panels) 1333 (APC, B-Line, EMP), ES201/ES202 (usually wall-mount racks), AH01/AH02 (likewise), 351, AUE 50. I have a key ring of all of the most common keys, sorted by shape. If none of those do the trick, it is paper clip time. Once you get the lock open, there is usually some identifying information you can go to a locksmith with, or a place like https://www.easykeys.com.

I_D

Aug 3, 2017
In my old compaq rack, it is quite wide and deep, so it's not a problem, I can mount my PDU extension bars to the side where they do not block anything.
Since your rack is a bit more limited due to the acoustic dampening, you will have to mount it to your rack post.
Because your rack is not very deep, I hope you have a few servers that don't extend all the way to the back, put those together and mount this PDU vertically behind them? (make sure to allow access to cables and good airflow)

I think I saw a picture @Patrick posted where he ran into a few problems with one of his racks not being deep enough too.
I forgot what it was but he tried to mount something that hit a PDU he mounted to his back right rack post.

Last edited: