EU Supermicro 4 Node Server 6027TR-HTQRF Quad node LGA 2011 @ 720€

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

vegeta

Aug 22, 2017
Is this a good deal? Power usage must be high.

RDIMM DDR3 ECC is cheap fortunately.

What does 4 node mean?
Wait, these are 4 nodes/motherboards/etc in Supermicro SuperServer chassis? That's awesome!

Power usage in idle mode, is that ok with this generation of Xeons?

sebstr

May 22, 2017
Any idea of how loud this beast would be? I'm thinking that it might not be very suitable for a home lab :)

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I have a couple of these (soon to be for sale posted, in US) they're not quiet, not something you want in the same room you're in.

But, they do use less power than individual systems that's for darn sure :) you also start hitting the actual efficienct power utilization of PSU so that's great for a lil more savings.

sebstr

May 22, 2017
I have a couple of these (soon to be for sale posted, in US) they're not quiet, not something you want in the same room you're in.

But, they do use less power than individual systems that's for darn sure :) you also start hitting the actual efficienct power utilization of PSU so that's great for a lil more savings.
Cool! I'd be up for some modding to keep noise levels down and SM (IPMI conf) is fairly easy to configure on that part afaik. But I guess heat levels could get critical quite fast as it's a very compact system? And the PSU should be quite loud by itself.. I'd really like a setup like this to work @ home hehe.

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
In terms of noise/heat i'd think about this as four half-width, 1u, dual-cpu systems. Not sure how much noise will go down with modding at all.

Like the QSFP Port, guess it's CX-2, and price is absolutely tempting.
If i could use one atm i'd be in, guess i saw them for 1.4k or more from the same seller some months ago.

neko-kun

May 17, 2016
Just bought one with rails for 600 GBP/680 EUR.
Now on to hunting for e5 v2 processors and some memory.
These are a better deal than the C6220 as they can take e5 v2 procs, wheras only the c6220 II can take e5 v2 procs, as far as I can tell.

I will use these within my MAAS cluster, where I already have 3 r210II with e3 procs in them, but they can only take udimms.

Anybody know if the QSFP port will do 40GbE, as I have a QSFP switch but no cables at the moment, and there a bit expense to just order and try.

neko-kun

May 17, 2016
Well they mention Infiniband and not ethernet :)
I did some digging and the card used is the MCX353A-QCBT, this will only support 10 gbit ethernet, with a qsfp -> sfp+ converter.

mmk

Oct 15, 2016
Czech Republic
Better look at Supermicro's website for the sled part number: it says 'Mellanox ConnectX-3 QDR Infiniband 40Gbps Controller'

neko-kun

May 17, 2016
I have gotten the server, looks well packaged, made an unboxing video but still have to upload it :)
Seems to working fine in MAAS, although I might want to make a management website/app to look at power, networking, etc.

I have also had a look at the mellanox card that is embedded:
Device Type: ConnectX3
Part Number: Super_Micro_X9DRT-HIBQF
Description: ConnectX-3 VPI adapter card; single-port QSFP; QDR IB (40Gb/s) and 10GigE; PCIe3.0 x8
PSID: SM_2181000001000
PCI Device Name: /dev/mst/mt4099_pci_cr0
Versions: Current Available
FW 2.35.5100 N/A
PXE 3.4.0460 N/A

Seems like a connectx, probably a MCX353A-QCBT, does anybody think this could be flashed to a MCX353A-FCBT?
This would get us 56IB/40Gbe.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Seems like a connectx, probably a MCX353A-QCBT, does anybody think this could be flashed to a MCX353A-FCBT?
I'd think so - standalone cards are cross-flashable easily so I'd assume the same process would apply to this one as well:)

Dav

Jan 20, 2016
hmm would those do for a home lab setup and w2016 Storage Spaces Direct ? using the ole 1gb network so no prior experience with infiniband

neko-kun

May 17, 2016
This won't work, it's infiniband not (40gbe) ethernet.
Yes it does, if you look up, I posted the output from the mellanox tools and it clearly says that 10gbe is supported, you just need to physically convert from qsfp to sfp+, which there are converters for from mellanox on ebay.

You can use something like this: IBM Original 90Y3842 90Y3844 - Mellanox QSA SFP Adapter (QSFP to SFP+) | eBay
This converter is passive and should not care about 40/10gbit or IB at all, it just lets a sfp fit in a qsfp slot.

This is the output as you can see, you just need to set it into ethernet mode :)
ConnectX-3 VPI adapter card; single-port QSFP; QDR IB (40Gb/s) and 10GigE; PCIe3.0 x8

Last edited: