Best drives for camera storage?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
I'm setting up 8 ubiquiti cameras and I want to store the data. I'm assuming raid10, write caching with throughput capabilities. I think 10TB would be enough storage for now unless someone has an 8 camera setup and can tell me how much data they use merely looking for setup advise going to use one of my dell 710 or 610 servers so 2.5 drives.

Angus

Mar 3, 2015
How much retention you trying to get? More than likely 10 is overkill

bateau

Jan 22, 2017
While that table is handy, please be aware that it is very old.
Things that have changed for the better: nobody uses MPEG anymore, and H265 is the thing now, both allowing for somewhat longer durations to be stored. However, resolutions are way up (2 Mpixel is 'old' already, and it is not even in that table), which has a much bigger impact, in the other direction.
You can use that table to extrapolate though.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
FPS and bitrate and motion sensing recording are a huge factor too.

Are you recording 24/7 no mater what or only on motion ?

bateau

Jan 22, 2017
Ideal is to tune FPS and resolution depending on the motion, but to record 24/7. Not all NVRs support that, and it can also provoke problems with remote clients (mobile apps).
I found camera based motion detection to be close to worthless, except on the real high end cameras, and even server side motion detection has its flaws. So I do 2 things:
  1. record 24/7, plus keep a limited amount of motion-annotated clips (plus a full duration motion index, but that is not video data).
  2. compile a dynamic time lapse, fast when no motion, slowing down when motion. Real cool. You know, the sun moving in the sky and the cleaning lady in fast forward. That kind of video.
Also, keeping 24/7 will help you to get a better context when you set up motion detection in selected regions. Motion in the other regions may be important sometimes, so I can now do (and do) post-processing on all recorded video when needed.

Last edited: