Thin Client thoughts?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
yes, and @RyC might be right; I never tried without AD since I have it and use domain accounts at home so needed it for that too:)

grobba

Aug 19, 2017
yes, and @RyC might be right; I never tried without AD since I have it and use domain accounts at home so needed it for that too:)
Yes, so if you install the Direct Connect agent, just log in from the thin client using your usual username and password :)
right'o - looking forward to an exciting weekend's tinkering for me... if the box gets here on time.
Direct connect agent would be the one highligted below then?
(VMware-viewagent-direct-connection-7.0.2-4350299.exe) and installed in the VM? 64 bit?
and viewagent (VMware-viewagent-x86_64-7.0.2-4350298.exe) has to be installed prior to that?

upload_2017-9-14_22-16-45.png

grobba

Aug 19, 2017
OK - the P45 arrived and hooked up, can find the Windows 10 VM but when it comes to logging in I get a View Connection Server Certificate Warning about verifying the identity of the server. I click continue, type in the log in details, looks like it's going through the motions of logging in but then goes back to Enter the address of the view connection server. Whilst looking at the ESXI web client during log in I can see the VM screen flickering and logging out as the P45 tries to log in.

I'm probably missing/doing something stupid but any pointers would be much appreciated!

Thanks...

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
You installed vmware tools and horizon client / direct connect client? Selected direct connection on connection type in P45? Upgraded to latest bios on p45 (at least 5.x) ?

Reactions: grobba

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Be aware that the really newest Bios is only available with subscription :/
But unless they do 4K support there's no need to go that far up the chain - not sure whether they'll scrap free baseline updates (horizon compatibility) though.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
You can go straight to teradici to get FW as well although I like to take vendor route, nothing special abt tera2 chip.

Please try/ensure that you have adequate vid memory allocated to VM. Say 64MB to start. Bet that fixes ya up.

upload_2017-9-18_12-20-56.png

Reactions: grobba

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Yes of course Teradici, sorry forgot to mention that. You might need an account (free) on their page

grobba

Aug 19, 2017
You installed vmware tools and horizon client / direct connect client? Selected direct connection on connection type in P45? Upgraded to latest bios on p45 (at least 5.x) ?
You can go straight to teradici to get FW as well although I like to take vendor route, nothing special abt tera2 chip.

Please try/ensure that you have adequate vid memory allocated to VM. Say 64MB to start. Bet that fixes ya up.

View attachment 6611
Thanks guys, appreciate the speedy replies. I got the display working through a mixture of setting the video memory and changing the PCIE video card to RADEON instead of CAICOS (which originally worked with Remote desktop and allowed hardware acceleration for CAD). Disabling the Radeon card altogether also seemed to work. Response time is not great but probably need to tinker with settings. "Direct to host" connection didn't seem to work but "View connection server" did. I haven't updated the firmware, it's currently 4.8.0, so that will be a next step too.
I also found this: https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/...zon-view-graphics-acceleration-deployment.pdf - Which I should probably read...

Thanks again for the input, looking forward to getting this up and running properly!

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Ah good. Then direct to Host is only for the workstation card, sorry for the mixup.

grobba

Aug 19, 2017
OK, updated firmware to 5.4.1 successfully, my next challenge is to make my USB 3DConnexion Space navigator (3D mouse) work, unfortunately I get the message below. I bridged the 3D mouse with the P45 and installed all the necessary drivers on the VM, but it doesn't seem to work. I realise these aren't every day HID's but, again if anyone has any ideas, it would be appreciated... when status says not supported, does that really mean not supported, ever, or not supported because I've overlooked something? Thanks.

upload_2017-9-19_18-45-26.png

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Hm never tried to get mine working, let me give it a whirl

Edit:
No problem...
spacepilot.PNG

Ah you got the Navigator, thats newer iirc - I am 5.4.1 also btw

spacepilot2.PNG

Edit:
Client settings:
Info Attached devices:spacepilot2.PNGConfiguration -> USB spacepilot3.PNG
Permissions-> USB spacepilot4.PNG

Last edited:

grobba

Aug 19, 2017
Hm never tried to get mine working, let me give it a whirl

Edit:
No problem...
View attachment 6614

Ah you got the Navigator, thats newer iirc - I am 5.4.1 also btw

View attachment 6615

Edit:
Client settings:
Info Attached devices:View attachment 6615Configuration -> USB View attachment 6616
Permissions-> USB View attachment 6617
That's good news, so it does work, thanks! And it does actually rotate your models, or whatever?
The navigator was the cheaper chunk of stainless with the control cap only! Looks like I need to do more tweaking... cheers!

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Ah that really small model - I remember; been a year since i looked into the models;)
Have not tested any functionality, have not even installed driver - as I said I use it for gaming and thats the wrong target box for it (daily/work).
Just wanted to see if passthrough works, and with the OS correctly identifying it I don't doubt it would work.

You might want to check horizon client to see whether there are USB passthrough related options if the p45 options are all correct

grobba

Aug 19, 2017
Ah that really small model - I remember; been a year since i looked into the models;)
Have not tested any functionality, have not even installed driver - as I said I use it for gaming and thats the wrong target box for it (daily/work).
Just wanted to see if passthrough works, and with the OS correctly identifying it I don't doubt it would work.

You might want to check horizon client to see whether there are USB passthrough related options if the p45 options are all correct
Most excellent! Yes... reinstalling the horizon components on the VM did the trick and can now control models, if somewhat sluggish. Next step to sort out the graphics, try out the Firepro perhaps, and almost there! Thank you!

grobba

Aug 19, 2017
Hmmm, think I screwed up...

Tried fitting the W7100 for testing but it won't fit between the back plane and fan wall of server case (it just fits but can't connect the power connector to end of card). So I tried an old slightly shorter AMD V5800 workstation card which fits, and can pass through in ESXI 6.5, the CAD software sees the card and can utilise the hardware acceleration. I can logon with windows remote desktop on a wireless tablet and still achieve workstation like performance. However I cannot get the P45 to connect with the VM, I'm back to the login timing out scenario, when I remove the card via Vsphere web client, the P45 logs in just fine.

It's kinda usable, without the card but certainly not for real time ray tracing or smooth rotating of large models.

Never really intended the server to house full length graphics cards, so it's a shorter version case, and this might be my big screw up, cos even if I did fork out for a Horizon 7 compatible card, it looks like they are all full length cards, if they didn't have power connectors on the end they might fit. That would also screw up my power saving endeavour!

I see from some other threads mention of older Quadro cards working, but would they work for ESXI 6.5 and Horizon 7? All the official VMWare compatibility tables are for GRID's TESLA's and S7150's.

Wonder if I need to consider rolling back to ESXI 6.0 or 5.5, that would screw up my newer VM's though?
Anybody get ESXI 6.5 and Horizon 7.0 working with vdga?

V5800 hardware acceleration:
Capture002.JPG

V5800 (shown below) fits OK, but W7100 fits up close to the fan wall:
Capture001.JPG

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Ah thats unfortunate. Other Chassis ? Might be easiest ...

Unfortunatly I dont think using the intended card will really solve the p45 connection issue - you could verify with board out of the chassis - if you can't solve that then you have no need to get a solution for the chassis problem after all...

grobba

Aug 19, 2017
Ah thats unfortunate. Other Chassis ? Might be easiest ...

Unfortunatly I dont think using the intended card will really solve the p45 connection issue - you could verify with board out of the chassis - if you can't solve that then you have no need to get a solution for the chassis problem after all...
Yeah, I was resigning myself to the fact the W7100 might not work anyway, looking at the compatibility charts.
However I'll need to get something, and even if a reconditioned GRID or similar, it still may not fit the existing chassis, without perhaps bastardising the connector somehow! I mentioned it was kinda usable, but I got Synology Surveillance station running and now notice it just cant handle the live feeds.
I've just seen that the S7150 is approx. 240mm long, this might fit, but of course would blow the budget, financially and power wise. Oh well...