Our new Quanta Switches

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Did you guys end up deploying the T3048's w/ QNOS and have good/bad experiences with them?
So far so good but they are still in a fairly simple configuration. Power is not too bad. 20 ports populated on the Base-T version plus a 40gbps port populated and 174w combined at the PDU.

Reactions: Mike Bailey

Mike Bailey

Sep 24, 2015
New York
Must be awesome having the new switches. It looks like they actually have good support in terms of having the firmware publicly available and easy to get to. I picked up a pair of LB4Ms that had the routing image on them but it's rather painful trying to find anything else.

That power consumption looks pretty good too @ 9W/port. What's the baseline power consumption without any active ports?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Must be awesome having the new switches. It looks like they actually have good support in terms of having the firmware publicly available and easy to get to. I picked up a pair of LB4Ms that had the routing image on them but it's rather painful trying to find anything else.

That power consumption looks pretty good too @ 9W/port. What's the baseline power consumption without any active ports?
Unfortunately they went into production too fast. Hopefully I can get figures for the SFP+ switch tonight.

Jerry Renwick

Aug 7, 2014
One interesting thing I learned from the reseller yesterday: "Quanta does not lock their optics so Mellanox and other cables work just fine"
Really, I am very glad to hear that. Maybe next time, I will think about using this switch.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just how loud are the switches, specifically the T3048-LY8?
Quanta does have fan speed control, but these are meant to be data center switches, and we use them in a data center. No idea on sound but compared to blade chassis and GPU compute chassis it would be hard to hear almost anything.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
They are *loud* if you load them up. They fan speed on my LY9 does cover a huge range, but when the switch gets warm you can hear the damn thing through several walls. I would not recommend for home use w/o impressive degree of noise control measures in place.
I only tried it on the desk in moy office off and on for a few days before I figured it was set up "enough" and put it in the data center to finish experimentation there away from me.

Reactions: Patrick

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
If I am in our DC's for much more than a short while I wear ear plugs !! I hate the noise all the Cisco 1u switches and related network gear makes.