HGST 7k4000 HUS724030ALE641 3TB Refurb $59.00 Newegg

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
Interesting , the 1 at the end indicates that this drive uses encryption (vs a 0 = no encryption)

From the hgst PDF for the model num.

Does anyone know the significance of this in terms of using it in a raid array with other drives of the same model but not encryption, i.e. The other drives only they have a zero at the end and not a one.

My assumption is, the encryption is just like on most SSD drives , in that the only feature or advantage of the encryption it is that you can instantly and completely wipe the drive when you are ready to decommission it (via issueing an ata delete secure key type of command). (Versus having to run a eight hour or More drive wipe /erase procedure on other non-encrypted HDD's )

Good find, thanks. (Amazon has same exact drives for 69$ w prime btw)

e97

Jun 3, 2015
Sub $0.02/GB - very nice. The reviews say RMA's seem hard if not impossible and the drives have about 2 years 24/7 ON time.

HorizonXP

May 23, 2016
This deal is back on, except now there's a 30% off coupon code, bringing the drive price down to $42.

EMCRKBF33

Just bought 10. 6 for my off-site FreeNAS backup box, 1 to stick into a VMware ESXi box for VM datastore (no need for iSCSI anymore really), and 3 for cold spares, since across 24 spinners in 2 FreeNAS boxes, a few are bound to fail.

Reactions: Hank C