My September 2017 Workstation Build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Guys... Just being clear... We have one of every EPYC variant and two of a couple. Publishing lags testing especially when every EPYC article comes with an associated discussion.

With that, still built TR. Wanted to move on from V3 but that is a great machine.

Xeon W is certainly interesting to me though.
no reason to completely abandon a platform that can still give you a great deal! :)

As price for v3 and v4 cpu comes down that would make v3 and v4 becomes better bargains and remember that the lower price v3 and v4 parts in dual cpu configuration will still be able to beat one cpu TR a lot of time for better price.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I like what Patrick is doing with his workstation , and following his roadmap.
Of course, I won't be building like him with the latest stuff.

We need a video editing machine, so I looked up what Patrick did with his last workstation.

When Amazon had a sale of ASUS Z10PE board, I grabbed the board. Going to use a pair of E5-2683 v3 CPU.
I'll using up my last 128gb DDR4 memory reserve.

Love to watch Patrick spending his money.

Reactions: cactus

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Latest update: 96GB RAM installed now using 6x mix and match 16GB DIMMs

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 96GB and Using 6 Different DIMMs

Windows 10 Pro is installed and on Windows insider to get Linux Subsystem for Windows. Had an issue with the Intel AC chipset driver, installed the update and now OK. Adobe and Microsoft installs are done. Notepad++ install is complete. Python 3.6.

Just making sure I will not miss anything.

Reactions: William

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Why is there an issue installing it sticks?
Ryzen 7 was picky with 16GB sticks. This is running some dual channel some single channel and not the same kind of RAM. AMD is still pickier than Intel on RAM.

First post updated.

eva2000

Apr 15, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
centminmod.com
Latest update: 96GB RAM installed now using 6x mix and match 16GB DIMMs

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 96GB and Using 6 Different DIMMs

Windows 10 Pro is installed and on Windows insider to get Linux Subsystem for Windows. Had an issue with the Intel AC chipset driver, installed the update and now OK. Adobe and Microsoft installs are done. Notepad++ install is complete. Python 3.6.

Just making sure I will not miss anything.
anti-virus/malware scanner ?

Just thought of another benchmark to do, malware/virus scanning speed i.e. malware detect (maldet) + clamav :D

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
anti-virus/malware scanner ?

Just thought of another benchmark to do, malware/virus scanning speed i.e. malware detect (maldet) + clamav :D
Yea that got done as well. Other bits like Snagit, MobaXterm and etc that I forgot.

Reactions: eva2000

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com
I'm still on the fence, and I was all in for Threadripper until I saw the overlocks, and powerdraw and tbh, I don't think I need all those cores right now, since the only real multi-threaded app I use is Premiere. Don't run VM's on the workstation anymore..or containers..etc. I'm leaning towards the 7900x paired with either the Rampage VI extreme or the Asrock X299 i9 Gaming OR the Asus X399 Crosshair or the Asrock X399 Gaming and the 1950.

I've changed my newegg cart 5 times in the last two days..lol. Help!!

Reactions: eva2000

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
I may step up to a dual CPU system that I have sitting here. Otherwise my current system does everything I needed to and then some just about. I don't see myself upgrading for sometime thanks to a specific forum member

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
before i discover xeon, i just build a new pc once every 5 yrs b/c the old one doesnt work with newer hardware or OS

After xeon, its a new build every 6 months just to calculate pi to 5 billion digits that much faster... help!

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Waiting waiting , I assume (hope) that the boards still have a bit of premium being so new because they certianly are a more expensive than the old generation even with 10G, some of that is I assume the increased cost of chipsets from intel.

Stux

May 29, 2017
My current work stations are based on i7-6900k CPUs with all 8 cores over-clocked to 4.3ghz (280mm radiators). And stable.

Primarily used for software development, where the reasonable number of cores, but high clock speed (all broadwell cores at 4.3ghz) makes a noticeable difference. The cores come in handy for the various test VMs and for mass compilations.

Would prefer ECC, but at least they have 128GB ram capability (currently at 64GB).

Trying to determine if I should build a TR for another build, or something else :-\

Ryzen regular doesn't have the ram capacity. And paying the Intel tax is grating.

Leaning towards a TR 1950x X399 build :)

Although it is tempting to just build another 6900k system and get that 4.3ghz overclock.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Patrick, anymore update on your 1950x? seems like amd has a great base to build on to take on intel WS market but they still lacking details like ECC support and large amount of memory?

for us cheapskates, the 1950x is still not quite there since you can still build a 2011 v3 system that's faster for same price?