For Sale: Intel R2308GZ 2U Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

niftykc

May 18, 2016
Are you using the newest fw? I've seen servers do that before. Fixed with new fw.
I was actually using the next to latest firmware... I'm paranoid about the BIOS screwing something else up, but since there's a firmware update...

I'm kind of surprised Intel is still supporting these servers, but... I'm glad...

I'll probably try the latest firmware... some time in the future...

Thanks!

talsit

Aug 8, 2013
Lol, saw this thread pop up and was hoping for another deal! Love this server, it's killing it 24/7 for me, OS is on SSD, 8x3tb drives in Z1 pool.

It's on 100% making cryptocoin (gridcoin). serving media and runs at a constant 320w according to IPMI. It's running in a basement that is between 85 and 90 degrees F and it just does what it should. In my use case it only needs about 48GB of RAM. I have a R2226 with 32GB of RAM and it isn't quite enough to make crypocurrency at 100%, there are a lot of processes waiting on memory.

If you need one, don't hesitate to get one. The only thing I might do is replace the CPUs with 2660v2s.

talsit

Aug 8, 2013
2660v2 because they are out in quantity. This is homelab stuff for me, the upgrade from 32-40 threads for ~$200-$250 is worth it for me, YMMV.

ccclapp

Aug 27, 2017
2660v2 because they are out in quantity. This is homelab stuff for me, the upgrade from 32-40 threads for ~$200-$250 is worth it for me, YMMV.
For me it is more about clockspeed since the server will host several VM workstations, including one for photoshop use.

niftykc

May 18, 2016
I agree with talsit as well. I love the two servers I bought. They work very well for my purposes. I will be converting one of them to a Windows 2016 Hyper-V server, but that's another project for another day.

doop

Jan 16, 2015
I've started wearing out the heads of some of the screws used to secure the top cover. Does anyone know what kind it is? It looks similar to what I find when I google "3M 6mm machine screw", except that it's much coarser. All the 3M screws I found have a 0.5mm pitch, but this one seems to be around 0.8mm. (I don't know anything about screws so my terminology might be a bit off.)
screw.jpg

doop

Jan 16, 2015
I bought the server with rails, but didn't get a rack until now. How do I mount this server in a rack with square holes? The rails has threaded holes, so I don't think I am supposed to use cage nuts with these?

I found a bag with weird looking screws close to the rails. Are these used to mount the server? (or not related to the server at all? I'm not very organized...)

rails1.jpg rails2.jpg screws.jpg

imafreak

Apr 24, 2016
I bought the server with rails, but didn't get a rack until now. How do I mount this server in a rack with square holes? The rails has threaded holes, so I don't think I am supposed to use cage nuts with these?

I found a bag with weird looking screws close to the rails. Are these used to mount the server? (or not related to the server at all? I'm not very organized...)

View attachment 10777 View attachment 10778 View attachment 10779
I've mounted mine by putting the server rail on the inside of the rack rail and running a screw through the post rail into the server rail.

CaptainPoundSand

Mar 16, 2019
Ashburn, VA

View attachment 10777 View attachment 10778 View attachment 10779
First glance - it looks like the rails come to the BACK/INSIDE of the peg rack - And the screws go through the rack to the rail behind. It looks like the screws themselves are what center the rack to the hole in the rack. - When installing Hitachi 48 drive dense trays used to have a similar design - they SUCKED - but worked.. - Actually my home APC rails are like this too...