Need a quiet 2u server with 3.5 hdd bays

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mgiammarco

Jan 6, 2015
Hello,
I need to buy a quiet 2u server with 3.5 hdd bays (I have several hdd to use).
I have already some experience:
- I have an HP DL380 G7 with sff hdds and it is quiet enough for me
- I have installed a dell c6100 and it is too noisy for me. Dell servers have noisier fans even at same speed of hp fans. And I do not like that bios reacts too fast

In europe I can easily find a dl180 g6 for example on bargainhardware.co.uk
I see that some people say that dl180 is noisier than dl380.
Can you say me that dl180 is quiet enough? Can you suggest me some alternative?
Thanks in advance,
Mario

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Do you need a server or just a chassis*? Budget?

Can you suggest me some alternative?
Supermicro 826:
  • 12 hdds (support for 2.5" ssds/hdds with optional drive trays)
  • sq psus
  • expander and direct attach backplane options
  • the sm aftermarket :D

mgiammarco

Jan 6, 2015
Thanks for fast reply!
I need full server, but there is no subforum for full servers, sorry.
I have around 500/700 euro budget, I am talking about refurbished servers like dl180.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Another vote for SM 826 although it looks as if you have a tender heart for HP gear. Not many of us around here do to various OEM deficiencies/double edge sword scenario's well documented/professed around here.

Full SM826 system w/in $500-700 budget may be a stretch but you're not far off at all depending on RAM requirements (AKA a bit of the build costs) If you kept it to 64GB or so I'd say you could meet that budget.

mgiammarco

Jan 6, 2015
Thanks for replies.
Basically I am interested in :
1) low noise
2) availability in europe
3) previous experience.

I know from personal experience that I like noise of hp server and not like dell server noise.
I see that supermicro is available in Europe. If you confirm that noise is low like my DL380 G7 I will buy it.
If possible I would like to know also about noise level of DL180.
Thanks.
Mario

mgiammarco

Jan 6, 2015
I am ready to buy a SM826 but reading again all thread I see no one told me that it is silent.

( )

Jul 8, 2017
I am ready to buy a SM826 but reading again all thread I see no one told me that it is silent.
Probably no one will tell you "A 2U Server with 1U Power Supplys is silent" - if that's the answer you're waiting for that may not be forthcoming.

No experience with this PS but it has SuperMicro's SQ rating (which means super quiet, and not silent).

It's 920W but there are larger SQ PSes: Supermicro PWS-920P-SQ 920W 1U Redundant 80 Plus Platinum Power Supply .

While internal fans of a 2U SM SC826 can be larger than 1U the PS fans are not - and those will contribute the most noise (unless you have a particularly powerful CPU and a couple of Graphics Cards, in which case internal fans will be noisy too).

If you want quieter you'll need to bump up to 3 or 4 U where the fans are larger and can spin slower.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Actually SM 3U and 4U chassis use the same 80 MM fan size as their 2U servers. But you should be able to build a relatively quiet 2U server. The key is to use 5400rpm drives and using an SQ PSU.

See this post for more information on SC826 cooling. WTB: Server Hot Swap Chassis

The stock fans can be spun down to a very low noise if using 5400RPM drives (I used 6TB Reds). Replacing the stock fans with an Arctic Cooling F8 works very well if you are using an active heatsink for your CPU and the system will almost be inaudible.

mgiammarco

Jan 6, 2015
Probably no one will tell you "A 2U Server with 1U Power Supplys is silent" - if that's the answer you're waiting for that may not be forthcoming.
No no, sorry but I have started the thread telling: "I have an hp dl380 g7 and it is QUIET ENOUGH for me.
I told also that Dell are too noisy and I asked that if a DL180 G6 is comparable to dl380 as noise.
People told me to buy Supermicro but now I see someone suggest modding (replacing cooler).
I have no time to do modding. I bought the hp380 used and powered it up and it is silent.
But I need 3.5hdd so I cannot buy another hp380.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
There is 12 x LFF versions of HP DL380 (+ options for upto 3 more at rear)

Interestingly they have different rails than the SFF version and are maybe an inch deeper. There is more room or some how the sas cable routing is better as it's less tight because the connectors are a little more to the rear.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Unfortunately in Europe I cannot find DL380 LFF :-(
And because the actual base chassis is different there is no change to retrofit.
I would have expected the cheaper HPE 2u servers to be less noisy not more.
The high performance fans for DL380 use less power than the regular performance though so logic as I think it is sometimes not so.

Reactions: ( )