Google Fi info/opinions !

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Anyone using Google's Project Fi ?

Obviously not cheap for high data users, but I'm curious how the service quality is since they're using carriers that already use other carriers hardware... I know the 2nd-tier carriers get 2nd-tier service... ie: If you have Verizon you get 1st priority vs. _____ 2nd-tier that uses Verizon hardware, and it appears Google uses 2nd-tier networks to make Fi, so they're now 3rd in line?! (Then again it seems they push Fi as being 'cheaper' since it uses WiFi -- but who's WiFi if not at home/on your own WiFi or a friends/family?!)

I'm interested in it for hopping country-country, specifically from USA (FL) to Bahamas and maybe Caribbean and not having to re-up BTC (not crypto) at various price points as it seems their prices vary month to month.

Also, are there any cheap cheap Google Phones to buy on the 2nd/used market to test it out?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Thanks, somehow I missed that one when searching and I even replied ;) HA !

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
T-Mobile and Sprint (Fi providers) don't use Verizon/AT&T hardware at least not primarily (they may roam onto it sometimes). The service has been fine for me but I live in a major city and would expect nothing less. T-Mobile's network has been getting really good lately and is only going to get better since they have acquired a lot of lower frequency spectrum which will help them penetrate areas that they previously have had poor signal.

The downside for me is psychological. Since I know I am paying for every MB. I tend not to stream music or watch a video even if it may be minimally more. I am thinking about going back to Cricket(AT&T) just so that I am not thinking about it.

For a phone Nexus 6 and newer. I run a Nexus 6P. Also if you are ok with just T-mobile's network (in the US) and can borrow a Nexus for a few minutes you can setup service on a Nexus device and then switch the SIM to a different phone and everything else will still work just not carrier hopping.

Reactions: hweisheimer

hweisheimer

Dec 9, 2015
Basically, what Stammes said.

I've been on Fi since I got my Nexus 6P (year and a half, I guess?). Some things I like about it:
  • The fine-grained, metered billing - I typically use 1-2GB, so it's cheap. I don't have to juggle plans if I have a heavy month.
  • Google Voice features, like "Visual Voicemail" (and transcriptions) out of the box
  • Data-Only SIMs! Stick one in an old phone or tablet, IoT device (like Particle Electron), etc - as long as you don't need voice/SMS you're golden. I believe they only work on the TMobile network, though.
  • No extra fee for hotspot
  • I can cross the border (to Canada) and not worry about anything. SMS/Voice costs change, but data is exactly the same. On a recent trip, I was literally the only person in the extended family that didn't have airplane mode on (they're all on Verizon).
  • Wifi assistant is pretty neat (automatic VPN on known-good public wifi to save on cell data)
The suck:
  • You will start obsessing over data usage. Let's just say that my Spotify habits have changed a lot :(
  • Network coverage can be an issue at times, but in in metro/interstate areas it's fine. I really liked Cricket because it was reasonably priced and used AT&T (it's my fallback option).
  • Device variety/support. I'm considering moving to iOS, and it sucks that I would have to port the number. On the Android side, it's better than it used to be, now that there are a few generations of devices supported. It sounds like some third party devices (like the Moto X4) may get access soon.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
  • Wifi assistant is pretty neat (automatic VPN on known-good public wifi to save on cell data)
This works on my Nexus device on ATT also. I have PIA and it is kind of funny, Google tells me PIA might be monitoring my traffic, does that imply Google is not? lol

hweisheimer

Dec 9, 2015
This works on my Nexus device on ATT also. I have PIA and it is kind of funny, Google tells me PIA might be monitoring my traffic, does that imply Google is not? lol
Yeah, no kidding! I love PIA, but haven't used it on my mobile devices. Curious how the Android app works now. I'm used to seeing the monitoring warning for user-added certificates when using intercepting proxies with mobile apps, but I would have hoped a VPN app would fare better! I do recall a recent article about abusive VPN apps though - maybe this is to blame?