vmware installer hangs loading mpt2sas module

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

groove

Sep 21, 2011
Hello all,

Need some help here -

I currently have ESXi 6.0U1 running on a Tyan S7050 (48gb / 2 x E5-2650) system. The system has 2 LSI 2008 based PCIe adapter - a Dell H310 flashed to IT mode and a Sun F40 PCIe Accelerator. Both cards are passed through to a Solaris (11.3) guest. The system works just fine in that configuration.

I'm trying to install 6.0u3a on this system and for some reason, the system just hangs on loading module mpt2sas :

upload_2017-8-21_11-45-28.png

It was been sitting on this step for over 2 hours before I rebooted it.

Has anyone experienced this before? I'm sure one of the 2 cards is causing the system to hang.

Would appreciate it if someone can help me figure out why it's hanging or what I can do to disable this module during start up.

Thanks in advance.
Gurvinder

groove

Sep 21, 2011
I would have done that if I had access to the box. Unfortunately, the box is about 100 miles away and there is no one onsite who will be able to take the cards out and put them back without potentially damaging the server.

What I'm also afraid of is that if VMWare again hangs right at the same point after the upgrade, then I've hosed the server and brought some critical services down for an extended period.....

talsit

Aug 8, 2013
I had this issue in my lab. I pulled all of the drives attached to the card and it upgraded.

I passed the card through to a VM, reinserted the drives and found a failed disk. Replaced the disk and I didn't have a problem with that hang again.

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
For Future References if you are in that screen and you see a Hang u can press ALT + F12 to see whats outputting in the console, you might have seen some of the errors referenced to the bad drive in it.