Updating OmniOS r151014 to Latest?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ZzBloopzZ

Jan 7, 2013
Hello,

I am moving in the next few days. I plan to keep my fileserver at my parents home. It has not been updated in ages. It is just for storage with ZFS.

What is the best method to update it, should I do a complete fresh install from scratch or do an update? If an update, what commands would I use as I understand there is a certain sequence to be used. Also, I am still on ESXi 5.5... should I update to the latest 6.0/6.5? Not sure if they are reliable/stable now or not.

Would be nice to have everything up to date so that I do not have to worry about it.

Thanks!

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Unless you do not had installed 3rd party tools that can hinder an update, you can update to 018 > 020 > 022, see http://www.napp-it.org/doc/downloads/setup_napp-it_os.pdf

Other option is my ESXi template with 151022. Export the pool, deploy the template, optionally add your HBA as pass-through device and import the pool.

If you decide to update, I would update ESXi as well to 6.5U1.

ZzBloopzZ

Jan 7, 2013
Hello gea,

Thanks for all your support over the years. I really am grateful to you.

I ended up doing a fresh install of ESXi 6.5 Update 1. Then importated your wonderful 151022 OVA template. I then set my 2x HBA's as pass-through. Did have some questions:

Networking:

1. I set my NIC #2 device as pass-through and have passed it through to the OmniOS VM. However, how exactly do I have OmniOS use this NIC for all networking for best performance. I want my other VM's to run off of NIC #1. I deleted the two network adapters the template has and created one using vmxnet. Then had to manually set it to static but looks like it is on NIC #1 which I verified by physically disconnecting the network cable and seeing if it had connectivity.

2. I can connect directly to the static IP. However, I changed the hostname in napp-it but cannot ping that hostname. I have restarted ESXi itself just to be safe. Never had this issue before, any thoughts?

At least pool is imported and re-created users using same PID so it is fully working with direct IP. Just would be great to use NIC #2 as dedicated and then have hostname working.

Thanks!

K D

Dec 24, 2016
See my Napp-IT AIO install guide at ESXI / Napp-IT All In One with USB Datastore.
Section 2.8 onwards is the networking configuration.

If your NIC is supported by OmniOS then you can pass through the NIC and set the IP Address via the NApp-IT GUI in the System->Network Eth section or via CLI in the console. If the NIC is not supported, then follow the instructions in my guide and Where it says Add a new Standard Virtual Switch – Don’t add an uplink , add your NIC as an uplink. That's what I'm doing in one of my systems.

Setting IP configuration Via CLI

GeneralAdministration

Setting IP configuration via Napp-IT GUI - The second one is the 10Gig.
2017-08-20 21_45_28-napp-it-san __ ZFS appliance.png

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
2. I can connect directly to the static IP. However, I changed the hostname in napp-it but cannot ping that hostname. I have restarted ESXi itself just to be safe. Never had this issue before, any thoughts?
Do you have a DNS server that translates hostname to ip with an entry of the new hostname? Otherwise you must manually set the relation in /etc/hosts. It works then without DNS.

ZzBloopzZ

Jan 7, 2013
Do you have a DNS server that translates hostname to ip with an entry of the new hostname? Otherwise you must manually set the relation in /etc/hosts. It works then without DNS.
Sorry for late response, I finally got home this weekend. My /etc/hosts looks like this:

127.0.0.1 → OmniPrime
192.168.0.50 → OmniPrime

Also, I do have DNS enabled... basically nameserver is set to 192.168.0.1 which is my local DNS.

Still not working even after a full reboot. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

ZzBloopzZ

Jan 7, 2013
See my Napp-IT AIO install guide at ESXI / Napp-IT All In One with USB Datastore.
Section 2.8 onwards is the networking configuration.

If your NIC is supported by OmniOS then you can pass through the NIC and set the IP Address via the NApp-IT GUI in the System->Network Eth section or via CLI in the console. If the NIC is not supported, then follow the instructions in my guide and Where it says Add a new Standard Virtual Switch – Don’t add an uplink , add your NIC as an uplink. That's what I'm doing in one of my systems.

Setting IP configuration Via CLI

GeneralAdministration

Setting IP configuration via Napp-IT GUI - The second one is the 10Gig.
View attachment 6405
Thanks for the great reply! Napp-it supports my NIC as passthrough so I was able to get an IP to the 2nd NIC. However, when I try to connect to that new IP in windows share and put in proper user/pw it says I do not have permissions to view my main file diretory on the ZFS. Do I have to do something for permissions? Also, how do I set the passthrough to work on vmxnet? Basically, can I have both NIC's on vmxnet for optimal performance?

Thanks!

Edit: Looks like even the normal initial NIC, one of the user name accounts does not have permission to my main ZFS root Data folder. Said I do not have permissions. I replicated the old accounts after re-building from scratch word for word even matching the UID and GID numbers. Any suggestions?

So weird that DNS name is still not coming up. Also, noticed sometime some performance issues with network but not sure if that is just Windows 10 doing it. Starting to regret upgrading haha.. perhaps I should do a OmniOS install from scratch instead of the using Gea's preset OVA? Been spending all day on this... going to take a little break.

Thanks again to everyone for responding. Just hoping it's misconfiguration issues and not issues with latest OmniOS or ESXi 6.5 Update 1.

Last edited:

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
regarding DNS
DNS name resolution must be done on client/DNS side not on servers side.
But propably you do not mean DNS resolution but visibility under Windows workgroup. This require a master browser ex a Windows server and you must enable netbios (disabled per default in newer Illumos distributions), see menu Services > SMB > properties

regarding permissions
Permissions do not rely on nics (unless you use Oracle Solaris where you can set permissions based on ip). If you do not have set unwanted user mappings (use only with AD domains) you can reset all ACL recursively to root only or everyone@=modify and set them then newly. In workgroup mode ACL should work after a new setup when you keep hostname and users with their uid/gid identical. With AD domains, AD/SID credidentials ars stored with files so permissions are intact after a pool move when you rejoin the domain.

regarding nics
If you pass-through a nic it is only visible to the guest as as a real nic and not in ESXi, vmxnet3 is a virtual nic in a guest VM, not a pass-through device.

ZzBloopzZ

Jan 7, 2013
regarding DNS
DNS name resolution must be done on client/DNS side not on servers side.
But propably you do not mean DNS resolution but visibility under Windows workgroup. This require a master browser ex a Windows server and you must enable netbios (disabled per default in newer Illumos distributions), see menu Services > SMB > properties

regarding permissions
Permissions do not rely on nics (unless you use Oracle Solaris where you can set permissions based on ip). If you do not have set unwanted user mappings (use only with AD domains) you can reset all ACL recursively to root only or everyone@=modify and set them then newly. In workgroup mode ACL should work after a new setup when you keep hostname and users with their uid/gid identical. With AD domains, AD/SID credidentials ars stored with files so permissions are intact after a pool move when you rejoin the domain.

regarding nics
If you pass-through a nic it is only visible to the guest as as a real nic and not in ESXi, vmxnet3 is a virtual nic in a guest VM, not a pass-through device.
Gea, firstly thank you soo much for your support. Thanks for the useful information I am now starting to understand. I totally understand the NIC aspect and pass through have no further questions, very straight forward with your wonderful explanation.

Also, I finally was able to have the system detected by the server name! I had to go to Services > SMB > set the workgroup to "WORKGROUP". Then hit Submit. Now I can directly connect to the server using it's name which is great as I have many media devices on network that was configured to work off of the server name instead of the IP.

I am still working on the permissions issue. My main account let's call it A which has full admin/write permissions can access the shares as usual. The second account B which is only for read only access (this is what my family members use) does not have permission to access any of the shares. When I manually re-entered the accounts I originally had 4. I only created accounts for 2 since the other 2 I don't need them anymore. Could this possibly be the issue? Should I re-create ALL accounts just to be safe?

Also, is there a way to change everyone@=read and the only account A to have full read/write/modify permissions? I wonder if that would be easier to fix the problem.

Thanks!

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Just set permissions as needed, A=full and B=readonly recursively, either via napp-it Pro or via Windows. If permissions are screwed up, reset them recursively to root only and then to the desired ones. SMB connect as root from Windows for full permissions.

Reactions: ZzBloopzZ

ZzBloopzZ

Jan 7, 2013
Just set permissions as needed, A=full and B=readonly recursively, either via napp-it Pro or via Windows. If permissions are screwed up, reset them recursively to root only and then to the desired ones. SMB connect as root from Windows for full permissions.
Hello gea,

I finally had time today and was able to fix it after an hour of playing around. In Windows I connected to SMB as root. Then for the main Pool share folder I deleted the "Everyone" user which removed all permissions. Then I re-added the "Everyone" account with the following permissions set to Allow:

- Read & Execute
- List folder contents
- Read

With inheritance enabled and the "Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object".

This fixed the permissions issue for me! Finally everything is working as it should. Thank you again for the top support. Really grateful for everything you have done for the community/the world.

I can't afford the Pro license, but I would like to donate some money to you at the end of the year when my finances are in a better place. PM me a paypal account or something. Only way I can think to show appreciation. :)

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Thanks.
If you like, you may choose a home license of napp-it Pro
Its up from 50 €/60 $ for two years