Monero Mining Performance

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
1x Future CPU = 343H/s
Was well under 60W for the entire system at the 120V wall using the Docker image as a point of reference.

The Dual EPYC was in the 330-370W on 208V at 3.3KH/s IIRC. Also, remember that is with 16 DIMMs not 4.

Xplode

Feb 25, 2016
Monero.png

I've done some testing on my 1950X today, hashrate is very good and power usage isn't as high as i expected.
The CPU is boosting to 3.7ghz by itself and staying there without problems.

The whole system is idling at 80-100w so 200w during mining isn't bad thinking about the 180w TDP.

Arjun

Aug 16, 2017
@Patrick I have a 1700 with 16 Gig Ram. I am using win 10 with Docker to run Monero i get only 260 -300 H/s . How do you get Close to 500 H/s On the Benches.. is there any special switches to add.

BTW the servethehome/monero_cpu_minergate:zen Does not seem to download .

Thanks in advance for any pointers

Great tool Docker

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Arjun I think the issue is that you are using Windows. Docker for Windows runs in a VM that kills performance

Arjun

Aug 16, 2017
@Patrick Thanks for the Reply, I am open to running a second OS . I was planning a VM with Oracle Apps to learn and explore that is the primary purpose .
What would you suggest as a good OS. I am getting into Linux/ Unix only in the past year or so.

lukas.l.alexander

Aug 18, 2017
Hey, Patrick,

Those measures grossly under-represent the Xeon Phi's potential: using my own -- phi-optimized -- miner i'm getting roughly 2,700H/s, which is 4 1/2 times what you're reporting. And, BTW, puts the 7210 on a quite differnet place in the performance list :)

- Luk

CPU Results (wolf's) Using (MB L3 cache/ 2) for threads
1x Intel Xeon Phi 7210 = 602H/s (case to use nproc-1)
Becomes: 1x Intel Xeon Phi 7210 = 2700! (using lukminer-phi)

Reactions: Edward Ronquillo

Robert Q

Jan 20, 2016
Hi Patrick,

Just wondering if you have gotten a chance to look at the AMD EPYC 7351(p) processor(s), as according to the spec page(AMD EPYC™ 7351P | AMD, http://www.amd.com/system/files/2017-06/AMD-EPYC-Data-Sheet.pdf) , the processor has 64MB L3 Cache with 32 threads, so should perhaps be in the same ball park as a single AMD EPYC 7601 at a little more than half (according to some web sites, $1,100 each - more or - less for dual 7351, and around $700 for 7351p. For the purpose of Monero mining, and where an application does not need all the cores/threads, and of course depending on electric cost/hash, the 7351(p) the cost and might be a good option.

Also, looked at your chart at the beginning of this thread and noticed the Atom 3338 was at 77h/s. I was wondering what the c3750(8) hash rates would be for those of us who would want to use the Atom chip for firewall/storage duties, some of the cost could be offset and at least potentially the power usage would be quite small.

Granted, I am just looking into the whole Monero thing but still wondering about the number.

Great job on the web site, BTW.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Robert Q - we do have the 7351 in house, but only a single version. We are supposed to be getting a UP system or two in the very near future to help get more EPYC systems online.

On the Atom side, that is the correct question :) Have not gotten my hands on an 8 core model yet.

Robert Q

Jan 20, 2016
Thanks, Patrick for the quick response!

I'm looking forward to your testing of the EPYC 7351p!

I saw recently that you published some benchmarks for the Atom C3955, did you get a chance to do any Monero mining testing on this processor? If you still have the part available, perhaps some quick mining tests with the C3955 will provide insight into expected performance for the 8 core atom part (c3750/8). I don't mean to harp, just looking to upgrade my firewall and lower the cost of running my storage server your results providing some insight into buying decisions giving some idea if costs can be offset, even for those of us running more modest environments.

Talking about firewall, I run pfSense (thanks to all on the site for making me aware of the product and how to set it up) and am wondering if you know of a package that will do Monero mining (perhaps an enterprising individual can whip something together). I did a quick google search and thought I saw mining software available for FreeBSD, but taking a look as best I could through this thread did not see anyone running a package (if it exists) or mining software concurrently with pfSense, any insights by anyone would be useful. My thought is perhaps mining is may not be the best thing to do on a firewall unless some rapid CPU throttling can be accomplished. However, for home or small office, for a good part of the time (at least for me), the firewall is no where close to max utilization.

Lastly, I'm picking on the new Atom processors today because I'm also wondering if QAT (Intel QuickAssist) can help when doing Monero mining assuming QAT will be helpful for hashing. I did a quick internet search not finding any mining software that mentions QAT, but I did not expect to as QAT is only found on a few processors or only available with add-in cards. However, developing mining software (if it does not already exist) that uses QAT might provide gains making the Atom processor even more interesting. Perhaps my speculations are not correct, so would appreciate feedback.

Thanks

silencer17

Aug 20, 2017
Russia
Hi all!

I was wondering about using digitalocean Ubuntu droplets for CPU mining.
The miner I've tried was xmr-stak.
The "standard" droplet with a single virtual CPU showed ~50 H/s.
However when I tried a "high CPU" droplet, which has 2xE5-2697a v4 CPUs (used hugepages=32, according to the number of threads), the overall hashrate was 88!
What could cause such a mess to happen?

PS:
I built the miner according to this guide:
How To CPU Mine Monero on Linux — Steemit
and I had the following error message at the make step: hwloc NOT found: use `-DHWLOC_ENABLE=OFF` to build without hwloc support
(the command line output is under the spoiler)
cmake -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=/usr/bin/g++-5 -DCMAKE_CC_COMPILER=/usr/bin/gcc5
-- The C compiler identification is GNU 4.8.5
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU 5.4.1
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting C compile features
-- Detecting C compile features - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/g++-5
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/g++-5 -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting CXX compile features
-- Detecting CXX compile features - done
-- Looking for include file pthread.h
-- Looking for include file pthread.h - found
-- Looking for pthread_create
-- Looking for pthread_create - not found
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthreads
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthreads - not found
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthread
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthread - found
-- Found Threads: TRUE
-- Found OpenSSL: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so;/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypto.so (found version "1.0.1f")
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:128 (message):
hwloc NOT found: use `-DHWLOC_ENABLE=OFF` to build without hwloc support

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/root/xmr-stak-cpu/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/root/xmr-stak-cpu/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".
so I used the -DHWLOC_ENABLE=OFF option.
Surprisingly, I don't remember having this message when I built the miner on the test droplet with a vCPU...

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Robert Q - 212H/s would be the minimum. I have logs with the C3955 it running at 340H/s but it is running lower than that now. Double checking notes.

@Silencer Mining in VMs is bad. Will not be profitable.

Robert Q

Jan 20, 2016
@Robert Q - 212H/s would be the minimum. I have logs with the C3955 it running at 340H/s but it is running lower than that now. Double checking notes.

Thanks Patrick for the numbers. My assumption is you were/are using 8 cores to get the 1 core/2meg core to cache ratio. Also, I am assuming the the 3750/8 would be in the 310H/s range (3338 @ 77H/s x 4 aprox.) based on the prior assumption. Also, perhaps wrong, my assumption is at full throttle the max power usage for the c3758 would be around 45Watts (taking the difference between idle wattage in your article for the c3955 and the max divided by half the cores - ((53.5max - 29.6 idle)/2 + 29.6 idle) rounded up. Ya, a bunch of assumptions but I don't think way out of line based on your article regarding the c3955.

With all of that said, because I am going to keep something like a firewall/storage device on most of the time anyway, for the additional 15/20 watts of power looks like the payback is well worth the power considering the hash rate per wattage, and over time may actually be able to pay for the cost of the processor given a little speculation in Monero.

Thanks

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Was running at 240 on a node running a rancher cluster. 48.6w

silencer17

Aug 20, 2017
Russia
Well. Just wonder why SUCH poor results?
DO offers cloud servers for data processing, do they perform so poor as well? =)

A general question - what config entry for the threads should have looked like for E5-2697a v4?
Autoconfig suggested 2 threads with affinity to cores, was that correct?

And yet another question - before buying any hardware I tried how the mining software works on my old Sapphire HD5570 and observed severe system slowdowns both with Claymore and xmr-stak miners, though I had tried a neoscrypt miner on it before and it was OK. This old Sapphire still can produce ~60 H/s, and I have where to plug it :) so I'd like to be using it too. Am I right that I should try older miner versions to prevent slowdowns, or is it an inherent trait of mining cryptonote on old GPUs?

peter77

Aug 22, 2017
Hi all!
I have 2x Intel Xeon x5650 = 460H/s (10 threads, xmr-stak-cpu 1.5, windows server 2008)
1x Intel core i5-4460 = 210H/s ( 3 threads, xmr-stak-cpu 1.5, windows 8.1)

I was found xmr_stak_cpu (build with devfee = 0%) here:
xmr-stak-cpu-nofee.7z

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Hi all!
I have 2x Intel Xeon x5650 = 460H/s (10 threads, xmr-stak-cpu 1.5, windows server 2008)
1x Intel core i5-4460 = 210H/s ( 3 threads, xmr-stak-cpu 1.5, windows 8.1)

I was found xmr_stak_cpu (build with devfee = 0%) here:
xmr-stak-cpu-nofee.7z
I would NOT use a miner thats not from the developer, it's just not worth risking trying to save a couple of percent plus I have no problem with the developer getting paid.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Has anyone seen performance of dual E5-2660v2?

I'll be testing it soon so if there's a particular test method that's recommended let me know and I'll try to follow it.

I had gotten ~800/s on dual E5-2660v1. 250w mining with 8x8gb ram, single ssd, onboard hw raid. Obviously some room to lower power use, but how much? What's a reasonably optimized power use for dual E5-2660v1?

Does opencompute save much power here? Disabling cores a big benefit, etc?