[DEAD] WD reds 4/8TB $90/$200 via shucking - update, 8TB reds now $180, 4TB deal looks dead.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Can you elaborate a bit more on the "click of death"? Is it easy to hear it or do we have to run some sort of stress test to get the clicking sound?

I RMA'd one of these after shucking then reassembled. I was careful not to break the tabs on a couple just in case. One out of nine had the click of death so I stuck it back in a USB case and returned it. They barely even looked at it and refunded my CC as none were in stock at the time.

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
It's dropped back to $180 now, I wonder how long it takes to get back to $160 again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

SINN78

Apr 3, 2016
my not be on the recipt but I would be surprised if its not tracked.. otherwise you can go and buy something at best buy to replace something in your house that is defective just to swap out the defective item..

I worked in retail computers 20 years ago and we tracked every serial at point of purchase

not saying for sure... just saying if it were me.. I would not be mixing and matching serials ...
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

SidewinderComp

Aug 17, 2017
I have an unfortunate need for one LEBJRCK (128mb cache) 8TB Easystore. It has to be this model as the drive circuit board is specific. I had a short circuit situation on an array and my drives are not spinning up.

If someone has one of these drives for sale new in box, I'd like to buy it from you or trade a new in box MGBJRCK (256mb cache) for it.

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
PM sent!

I have an unfortunate need for one LEBJRCK (128mb cache) 8TB Easystore. It has to be this model as the drive circuit board is specific. I had a short circuit situation on an array and my drives are not spinning up.

If someone has one of these drives for sale new in box, I'd like to buy it from you or trade a new in box MGBJRCK (256mb cache) for it.

RadeoNite

May 7, 2016
Anyone have any experience with using Borderlinx to order from BestBuy? Looks like their concierge service doesn't allow it.... Been waiting for these to drop, only to find out I'll probably won't be able to order them :p (I'm from Belgium BTW)

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
Anyone have any experience with using Borderlinx to order from BestBuy? Looks like their concierge service doesn't allow it.... Been waiting for these to drop, only to find out I'll probably won't be able to order them :p (I'm from Belgium BTW)
You can send them using another email forwarder.

Matt Lund

Oct 20, 2016
Purchased eight 8TB Thailands today in San Diego. Don't have much reason to not want the Chinese model but I like consistency.

First store in San Diego had 7 Thailands and 10 Chinas. The sales guy was very helpful (some of the Thailands were in the back). He rung me up for the seven but when he called a manager over to do the bestbuy.com price match the manager only allowed 2 to be sold.

Second store very helpful guy again, got 3 Thailands from the back and said he was told that was the limit.

Third store again helpful, got 3 Thailands from the back and I paid at the front register. I didn't ask what the limit was here since I only needed 3.

Time for some shucking and testing!

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Purchased eight 8TB Thailands today in San Diego. Don't have much reason to not want the Chinese model but I like consistency.

First store in San Diego had 7 Thailands and 10 Chinas. The sales guy was very helpful (some of the Thailands were in the back). He rung me up for the seven but when he called a manager over to do the bestbuy.com price match the manager only allowed 2 to be sold.

Second store very helpful guy again, got 3 Thailands from the back and said he was told that was the limit.

Third store again helpful, got 3 Thailands from the back and I paid at the front register. I didn't ask what the limit was here since I only needed 3.

Time for some shucking and testing!
I would reverse that if it was me.

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
For the europeans out there thinking of using Shipito to ship them these drives. Here's a little rundown on the "Hidden" costs.
2x8tb= $319.98
Domestic Tax = $24.32
Assisted Purchase Fee(BestBuy doesnt ship to freight forwarders)= $8.50
Processing Fee(Paypal cut)= $14.80
Commission(literally cant find this on their website)= $27.54
Total Shipito BestBuy order= $395.14

Shipping costs from Shipito to the Netherlands= $54.99

Total costs as a dutchman to buy 2 WD EasyStore 8TB drives from BestBuy= $450.19/€381

Now I am not sure if I need to pay tax again in NL. I don't think I have to, but if I will you can add another 21%.
Seeing as the WD RED 8TB costs around €280 it's an okayish deal.
BestBuy 16TB= €381
NL 16TB=€560

Hope this makes it clearer for the fellow europeans.

Any questions let me know!
Isn't there import tax to consider? Thanks for the breakdown btw, very useful!

Jul 30, 2017
Isn't there import tax to consider? Thanks for the breakdown btw, very useful!
Yes you are correct. It was €70 extra. A week after fedex delivered it(took 2 days from nevada to NL) I got a letter saying I need to pay €70 :(. So add another €70 to that total.

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
Yes you are correct. It was €70 extra. A week after fedex delivered it(took 2 days from nevada to NL) I got a letter saying I need to pay €70 :(. So add another €70 to that total.
Thanks for the confirmation. Its still good value but not quite enough to make me pull the trigger, which is probably a good thing :)