Simple question about fiber patch cables

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I'm about to install a couple of Media converters using LC to ST patch cables. The ST ends are color coded Red and Black. Which is Tx and which is Rx? They'll be located in 2 different buildings and I'd perfer to get it right the first time and also have the colors correct. I can find a ton of info on the cable color code but nothing on the cable ends.

TIA

cableends.jpg

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I'm about to install a couple of Media converters using LC to ST patch cables. The ST ends are color coded Red and Black. Which is Tx and which is Rx? They'll be located in 2 different buildings and I'd perfer to get it right the first time and also have the colors correct. I can find a ton of info on the cable color code but nothing on the cable ends.
If these are patch cables, just swap the ST colors on the end you're at if you don't see light.

What are you media-converting? If the connectors are ST this is likely some pretty old multimode fiber. You may need mode conditioning cables if you're running GigE or faster.

Reactions: Evan

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Guess I'll be doing this on a wing and a prayer. Original install was 100mb. A lightning strike took out one of the converters so I'm replacing both with 1gb. patch cables only need to be about a foot long but I have a couple of 5m cables I'm going to use. The cable between the buildings is not really that long, 100 to 150ft at the most dunno why they used fiber. The cat 5 cable from the second converter to where it's needed is longer than that. Anyway, hope it works.